What not to do when firing your oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to do when firing your oven

Don't leave the lighter in front of the vent opening when you do your big fire. They tend to explode when they get hot.

The first picture is before it exploded. I was cleaning up a bit then I heard a pop and saw the lighter flying through the air.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Re: What not to do when firing your oven

I did at least get the dome to turn white. And no new cracks came up so far.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I should hope it went white! That is one serious fire! (And an excellent photo of it, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
        Don't leave the lighter in front of the vent opening when you do your big fire. They tend to explode when they get hot.

The first picture is before it exploded. I was cleaning up a bit then I heard a pop and saw the lighter flying through the air.
        I did that a few years ago!!! We should add this to the safety thread.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Oooops...!

Could be a point in favour of lighting the fire with matches?

The worst I ever did on the subject of "what not to do when lighting your fire"
          was leaving the bucket covering the top of the chimney in place. And not just once either. Um, it doesn't really help the oven draw...
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Another what not to do......don't leave your IR thermometer in front either, doesn't explode - but is does melt. I'm not saying I did this, I'm just in the market for a new model. I guess it could have been the hot sun - thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

RT

Comment

RLF5,

Glad you weren't hurt...

Okay, am I the only one secretly thinking "cool"???

Dick

Comment

I was in such a hurry that I forgot to take the wooden spoon out of the toasted almonds I was making.

It now has a nice blackened look to it

We need a sticky for wfo mistakes.
                Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                  RLF5,

Glad you weren't hurt...

Okay, am I the only one secretly thinking "cool"???

Dick
                  Snort. Nope. I've been a pyromaniac since I was a child- we used to blow stuff up with firecrackers at the lake when I was little. I have matured enough to be safety conscious now, but I still love a big bang (with ear protection, I want to keep my hearing), fireworks, big roaring fires, you name it.

On the last project we worked on, we had to have rock dynamited so we could get foundations. They drilled and blew up a whole hilltop. We had to hide behind the bulldozer bucket, but we got video. REALLY COOL!
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                    Snort. Nope. I've been a pyromaniac since I was a child- we used to blow stuff up with firecrackers at the lake when I was little. I have matured enough to be safety conscious now, but I still love a big bang <snip>
                    Me too, me too.

My father was building his house when I was about eight. My job that summer was to clean the old mortar from a couple thousand used bricks [the real ones, not the sissy ones you get from the Home Despot]. I got busted with my first fire and a box or two of kitchen matches while hiding behind the stack of cleaned bricks.

J W

Comment

since we are off topic and suffer from pyromania, I will continue with 2 not so memorable experiences
                      1) I'm 10 or 12, back in the day when it was acceptable to burn virtually anything (as long as it was contained in the city supplied 55 gal drum). We all remember the days of using a magnifying glass in the sun to burn leaves, bugs, etc....I went to the next level; filling the drum halfway with yard debris - twigs, leaves, and such, placed a small box on top containing a few dozen carpenter ants I had just caught, then liberally dumped a cup (maybe a pint) of gasoline around the box and proceeded to light it.....lost my eyebrows, eyelashes, and half my hair, VERY lucky to have nothing more than mild sunburn like redness to my face and neck. YOUNG AND STUPID

2) I'm 15 or 16, always messing with my dads tools...love the Burnzomatic propane "plumbers torch". I proceed to melt a bunch of old plastic toys and such...most notably a bag of the little green army men and associated vehicles. I'm holding a plastic army tank with pliers while torching it, watching the plastic become molten and drip. Mom yells out to come for dinner...scaring the crap out of me, I jump, the molten plastic flips up onto my right hand - 3rd degree burns on my pinky and right ring finger.....literally cooking them to the bone. OLDER>>>>BUT EVEN DUMBER. I've since learned fire, explosions are still WAY COOL......just take a few precautions and initial prep to avoid physical harm

RT

Comment

...you'll be giving me nightmares with stories like that!

I caught my two five-year-olds lighting a newspaper in the garden the other day...
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                          ...you'll be giving me nightmares with stories like that!

I caught my two five-year-olds lighting a newspaper in the garden the other day...
                          With luck, nothing bad will happen. After all, it is but a right of passage.

J W

Comment

Working...
                          X