Curing method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing method?

I took the plunge and ordered a oven. I’m going to get it next week.
    I’ve read about curing the oven and how it takes about a week to do with different intensity of the fires for xxx hours each time.

Would it a bad idea to throw a Turkey fryer burner head or a log starter burner into the oven entrance for the curing process? If the entrance of the oven gets 200+ degrees, I can see that it’s a bad idea, but if not, then it Seems to be a easy way to maintain heat each time for the curing process.

Any other tips for new guy?

What sort of oven have you bought?
    Useing different forms of heat can be helpful at the beginning of the process but you need to have a fire directly on the floor bricks in order to drive out all the moisture.
    The whole point is to expel all the stored water that is contained in the refractory without boiling it and causing cracks, this is not something to compromise with.
    The oven should have some form of vent to release any steam that might occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizza Guy FL View Post
      Would it a bad idea to throw a Turkey fryer burner head or a log starter burner into the oven entrance for the curing process?
      That should work just fine and others have done it that way for the initial cure. Just don't try and relight it if the flame goes out, you might need to rebuild the oven

As yours is a retail oven as opposed to DIY it will have significantly less moisture and should cure faster. Follow the OEM instructions and you can't go wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X