X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting your fire

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Very pretty. I would put it in the category of 'another thing to go bust'. The 'must have' accessory for your primitive oven.

Getting the oven fired up is the easy bit. Plenty of twigs increasing in size as the pile builds and the well dried smallish wood on top. My cheat is one small bit of a 'Natural, non-toxic' firestarter that is 55% wax and 45% wood fibre in the middle of the heap.
    I haven't tried that. My cheat is to use about 3 crumpled paper towels inside the heap .

But the Looftlighter want be a "total failure" even, if the element does burn out. That looks like a stainless steel silencer on the business end of the tool. It could be dismantled, stuffed with smoking chips, and used to add some great! flavor to the oven .

Last edited by Gulf; 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
      Very pretty. I would put it in the category of 'another thing to go bust'. The 'must have' accessory for your primitive oven.

Getting the oven fired up is the easy bit. Plenty of twigs increasing in size as the pile builds and the well dried smallish wood on top. My cheat is one small bit of a 'Natural, non-toxic' firestarter that is 55% wax and 45% wood fibre in the middle of the heap.
      If you want to cheat and make it look pretty at the same time take pine cones and dip them in a parifin wax bath for about 30 seconds. Let them drip off and place on parchment paper or tin foil. They make great cheaters, my dad - now 83 used them all the time to start his wood burner, he had a basket full of the cones ready for the next fire in a decorative basket.

I still use a single match and some news print.
      Last edited by mrchipster; 12-30-2013, 10:33 PM.
      Chip

Comment

What a great idea. There are plenty of pine cones around here. Another little project. Thanks.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Not sure where this question should go but I saw it on here that people get their stoves too hot sometimes... What is the best way to cool it if you had very little time?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose4Life View Post
            Not sure where this question should go but I saw it on here that people get their stoves too hot sometimes... What is the best way to cool it if you had very little time?
            Happened to my rookie self last week. I shoveled one of the logs out and a few coals. Then I took a wet towel and swabbed the floor a few times. I'll be interested in other replies from more experienced WOOFer's but this worked for me. Took 15-20 minutes to get back to a 750 floor.
            My build documentary page:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

got it down to a science
              start with a small pc of pine or kindling
              menards sells Fatwood sticks, a natural sticky wood for fire starting
              lay two or three on kindling
              put med size logs on either side
              then crisscross stack three layers
              light with small torch
              Foolproof!

Comment

I'm building an Artigiano 100. I was wondering if I would degrade or harm anything in this oven by using a gas log lighter to get the wood burning more rapidly. This thought comes from my experience with my Costco clay chiminea. I used it for 5 years with only wood, ignited with newspaper, small sticks, etc.. When I added the log lighter it really improved the rapid heating experience, with no kindling.

In an FB oven, it appears the wood is lit at the back, then moved to the sides or wherever. Since a log lighter is only an 8" piece of 1/2" black steel pipe with six holes in it, attached to a flexible stainless steel supply line, it wouldn't get in the way too much, I think.

I'm throwing this question out there as the FB folks told me, in 2011 when the oven appeared, that a log lighter would have undefined detrimental effects and void my warranty. Since my oven was damaged in the rear during shipping, cracking the rear exterior of the oven, some transportation company's insurance company paid for it. I even got paid to haul it to the dump- my back yard. No warranty anyhow.

The cracks were fixed by me with 1/2 " hardware cloth and refractory mortar. It's been weakened in the rear, from the shipping damage, yet it may be stronger now with the repair.

Anyhow, any thoughts?

Comment

I cut up a couple of 6 inch 2 X 4s into 3/8 strips, put them in a one quart container pour on 91% isopropyl alcohol. I use a few at a time, they burn clean and can start a small fire.

Comment

Try adding more than one log. I find that one log works with the other to keep the flames burning.

Comment

Working...
                    X