wood at the grocery store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood at the grocery store

There were bundles of split firewood outside Kroger today- about 8 per bundle, less than 24" long. For $3.99!!!!! Someone's making out like a bandit there! I don't think I could get my oven to clear with what was in those bundles. Good thing I have a supply and a willing husband to split it!
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: wood at the grocery store

Some of that wood is imported from Estonia. As if we don't have forests on the east coast.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good to see "willing husbands" getting some coverage!

Lovin' every minute of it - Chuck

Comment

I know that when we order studs for building, a lot of the packs come from Europe, but I didn't realize that they were importing firewood as well. Cripes.
        Elizabeth

Comment

I would suspect (no pun intended) that somebody is filling excess space in containers with the firewood. Only I would be curious if the firewood has gone thru some sort of fumigation for pests. Finished dimensional wood probably doesn't need such treatment because it has no bark etc. But if they are funigating pallets I could see a need for such treatment of raw "bark on" firewood.

Excess space and need for weight (ballast) has always been a problem in shipping. We have several buildings in Port Townsend that were built out of cut stone that was loaded as ballast. And it was not uncommon in the days of sail for ships plying the South Seas to fill excess space below decks with coconuts because they took up lots of space and floated.

Wiley

Comment

I suspect the tageted market for bundled retail firewood is for those people
            who have a fireplace and only use it once or twice a month. I see it mostly as a bachelor purchase.
            --mr.jim
            ---------------------------------------------------------------
            The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
            unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Elizabeth - the market down the street is selling about one cubic foot for $6.99. Don't know what kind of wood it is, but at that price, it should self ignite and burn quite a while...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

At that price you might consider using dollar bills instead - it might be cheaper
                Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
                  I would suspect (no pun intended) that somebody is filling excess space in containers with the firewood. Only I would be curious if the firewood has gone thru some sort of fumigation for pests. Finished dimensional wood probably doesn't need such treatment because it has no bark etc. But if they are funigating pallets I could see a need for such treatment of raw "bark on" firewood.

Excess space and need for weight (ballast) has always been a problem in shipping. We have several buildings in Port Townsend that were built out of cut stone that was loaded as ballast. And it was not uncommon in the days of sail for ships plying the South Seas to fill excess space below decks with coconuts because they took up lots of space and floated.

Wiley
                  Plus the Pallets and crates were used to ship GI's kits home from WWII. That stuff brought us many pests. If I remember the PBS special on either a type of termite or gypsy moths they were stowaways. Zebra mussels are another that have made their claim on the great lakes.

Comment

Weird how these things work out, isn't it? ...Around here they're worried that red squirrels will be replaced by American grey ones, that black swans will become a threat to white ones and that raccons will somehow upset the ecosystem.

I saw firewood an sale here at 10 USD for 15 kilos... that'd be about 33 lb, but how much wood is it?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I did my part on the raccoons last night. A suicidal one ran out in front of me on the way back from taking my daughters to vote for the first time. UGH. I hate that bump-bump.

I don't know if they'll upset your ecosystem, but they'll sure upset your garbage cans!
                      Elizabeth

Comment

That bumb-bump is always just horrible. Around here we have a million suicidal bunnies at the moment, and on two lane roads at night you can't always avoid them. Of course they are eating a lot of my plants too, but bunnies are so cute

Edit: I misstyped CAN instead of CAN'T originally!
                        Last edited by staestc; 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM.
                        TravisNTexas

Comment

couldn't avoid this one if I'd tried- ravine on one side, mountain on the other. I slowed almost to a stop and I swear the idiot thing ran UNDER my wheels! If I'd managed to stop beforehand, I think it would have flung itself over the cliff instead.
                          Elizabeth

Comment

In my area the racoons are pretty stable, but the possiums are unbalanced. I can see them come into the backyard at night and sniff the dog poop. Then they look around for the dog so he can kill them. I just consider them to be soil amendments.

Bruce
                            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I'm pretty sure my husband would have me committed if I brought home a dead raccoon for the compost pile. We'll see if it's there tonight when I go back over the mountain for practice...
                              Elizabeth

Comment

Working...
                              X