Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven tools

Hello,

I am going to have some tools prepared for my oven. An efficient tool for raking out ashes and a tool for placing wood/logs. For raking I consider a conventional rake design with a linear blade at a straight angle to the shaft or a curved blade (like a half-moon or semi-circle). For placing wood I consider a simple two-pin fork design.
    Any recommendations. What are you folks using?

Regards from Karl

Re: Oven tools

I basically use the tools that came with my Casa 100. the round peel, the square peel and the brass brush. The log grippers are also very important, as are good oven mitts. Also, the infrared thermometer is a must, although there is quite a variety of costs with that. Good luck!

Comment

For placing wood, I use a 4 prong cultivator that was laying about. The wood doesn't know the difference. Cheap and effective.
      A garden hoe works for raking ash. Normally, I'll just use my peel.

Comment

I have and use 5 tools,
        ? an 8" circular peel (the cut-out from my stainless steel vent for the chimney opening)
        ? A stainless rake (that is more of a hoe, but wider), for pushing and pulling the fire and coals,
        ? an aluminium dust pan sized shovel for the removal of coals and ash,
        ? an aluminium peel for placing the pizzas in the oven, and
        ? a natural bristled banister brush for sweeping the hearth after pushing the coals aside. This is easily set alight bit only smoulders and is almost due for replacement.
        I am looking at manufacturing a wooden peel but haven't yet done it as it will come on a "needs basis".
        I also have and use junk metal log supports which keep the kindling and heavier hardwood up off the hearth (well at least one end) which allows air to increase the burn and the oven temperature. A very handy and 'essential' tool. It is removed when I spread the coals around the hearth very carefully as it is glowing red hot and easy to burn anything it falls upon or touches.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

"a natural bristled banister brush for sweeping the hearth after pushing the coals aside. This is easily set alight bit only smoulders and is almost due for replacement."

I'm on my second "horse hair" brush. Nothing works better but is easily consumed. If only I could find a LONG bristled brass or something heat resistant.

I'll initially mop it out using a length of old bath towel strips wrapped around the retired banister brush, affixed with a steel clamp and moistened with water.

Comment

In addition to the placing peel (homemade wood), pulling peel (approx 10" rectangle, metal), turning peel (8" round), brass brush, ash dust pan, ash corner scooper (stick with a bit of metal to help sweep the ash from the corners of the oven), fob holder (stick with a wire to move wet rag to wipe floor before bread, boost humidity), I use a 'blow hard bellows". A 36" copper pipe with a cap, and small hole.

This tool comes in handy to boost the fire, of course, by delivering air at an individual spot, but mostly I use it to blow the ash off the floor between pizza's, and occasionally poke at the fire....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...lows-5654.html

The next one on my list is to build is a tool to do a better job of moving the wood around inside the hot oven... something like the 'clinker grabber' ??? The hair on my fore arm may never grow back....

And some light... It gets dark at 5 pm around here this time of year, and I would like to have better light out at the oven. Always projects....

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post

And some light... It gets dark at 5 pm around here this time of year, and I would like to have better light out at the oven. Always projects....
              My husband bought me a baseball cap with LED's on the brim for Christmas. I think it came from Lowe's. Looks kinda silly, but it really works when it's dark out!
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Jed
                I use a clamp on bbq light. Works great!
                Clamp on or Magnetic Mounting LED BBQ Grill Light?::?BBQ Lights?::?Outdoor Extras?::?Arizona Outdoor Products DBA BBQ ISLAND (GAS Grills, BBQ Equipment, Outdoor Kitchen Accessories)

Comment

My household 'downlights' are built into the chimney void and work an absolute treat.
                  I would not have an oven without them. They illuminate the whole oven inside and provide a nice ambience especially at night and hilight the oven.
                  I also made the same for Hendo's oven but then modified them as he had 2 12 volt swivel underwater pool lights which I mounted up in the top corners on the outside of his dome and illuminate the whole of his hearth floor. I had to mount them outside otherwise they would have been a pool of plastic after the first firing.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

ERASMO.

That is a good looking lamp. I'll think about that solution, it might work.

And Neill, I wish I had an overhead structure to work with, but I built the durn oven out in the middle of the yard with nothing over head but a big Ponderosa Pine! The lowest branches are near 40 feet (12 meters) up in the air! Would require to big a lamp to get any lumen's on the hearth from that height...

JED

Comment

I love LED's! But most of you already know that....

I have the clip on light for my cap - I really like it. I also have a really dorky headband with insanely bright LEDs on it - great for taking the dogs on evening walks and stopping Deer in their tracks!

On my last trip to China, I got some 5w LED MR16 replacment lamps - low voltage and super bright - I'm converting my 120VAC MR16 grill lamp to the 12 VDC lamps this winter. I've already converted my landscape lamps to LEDs!

Cheers

Christo
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

-makes note to include lighting in the oven's outer housing-
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

I've found the maintenance of some flame in the oven provides plenty of light when cooking pizzas. I tried a damp mop. Bought a conventional mop with a cotton head which I trimmed shorter (took me ages with blunt scissors) Used it once. Went back to my trusty 12mm copper pipe which I use to blow the ash away and use also for stubborn fires.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Out of curiousity, string or yarn? FYI - now that you don't need it - paper cutters are the fastest way to cut something like that - and the easiest.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                            X