how many firings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many firings?

Fired the oven for hours today with both small fires and larger fires. The inside of the oven got hot and seemed like the dome was reflecting the heat well. I could keep my hand in the oven for a few seconds the closer I got to the angled dome fire bricks even away from the fire the hotter it got. I will say I could stick my hand in and touch the floor and it seemed only hot to the touch hours after large firing with a small fire still going. How long before I can actually use the oven to cook pizza? When will the floor take the heat and store it? Is the dome to high and should I consider rising the floor by putting another layer of firebrick over a thin layer of sand or vermiculite insulation? It would take the height of my opening down to 11.5"" if I did this though

Steve

Steve,
    Your should bring your oven up to temperture slowly over about 7 firings. That will let everything cure nicely. By the 7th fire, the oven will start to get pretty good, and you will see noticeable improve for the next few firings past that. The slow curing will minimize cracking and the mortar won't shrink or crack as much.

This is one of those things you can't push faster.

It definitely isn't a question of dome height or mass under the cooking floor -- don't worry about that.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Door and Dome Heights

I have a dome of 18 inches and a arch on the door of 15 inches.
      I could send in some firebrick and then cement the firebrick onto
      the current hearth which is standard red clay brick made from the
      sod found on the other side of this island.
      Any suggestions?
      JJ

Comment

Working...
      X