Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard in Thousand Oaks - WOOD

I finally got over to the wood supplier on Rosecrans near the 405

The business name is Jones Firewood although I think Firewood Jones sounds better.

The address is 4881 Rosecrans
    The Ph num is 310.6754722

He carries all sorts of wood and it is cut to varying lengths.

A car trunk full (1962 Volvo 122S) would run about $30.

He sells a cord starting at $370 plus tax. When he heard you live "over the hill" he said he doesn't deliver that far. You would need to bring your own truck.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by jengineer; 05-05-2006, 01:01 PM. Reason: title to long wanted to make sure Wood was seen

Truly appreciate the information. The people of this forum are very helfpful

Thanks for taking the time to post. WIll borrow someone's truck.

What size do most folks have their wood cut. i.e. length/width

Comment

Wood

Richard,

My oven is an Alan Scott design, 48" d x 36" w, used almost exclusively for bread. When I can, I cut my wood to a length of about 38-46" long by no more than 4" in diameter. This way, I don't have to tend the fire as much, because the longer pieces burn from the front all the way to the back without too much poking. In practice, though, you can use any practical length you want.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

understand length, what about girth

Comment

At 48" deep and a rectangular footprint, Jim's oven works with the longer wood. I like 16"-18" long wood, split into roughly 4" thick diameter. The shorter lengths work better when you have pushed the fire into the side of the oven for fire-in-the-oven cooking, including pizza. The thinner split catch fire faster and put out a good flame.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Diameter

James,

Agree entirely, especially the 4" diameter. When I do bake pizza, I do almost exactly what you do.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

there is another fire wood place in/near Marina del Rey. Again I do not know the naema nd I rarely get over there. It is near Bartel's H-D. For me it is on the way to Killer Shrimps (they have 3 dishes there original, peeled and over spaghetti). Next time we go i will pull over and get the name

Comment

Working...
              X