Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log carrier

My wicker basket broke yesterday.

What are folks using to move wood from where you store your cord (or big supply) to the storage area under the oven?

While I'm at it, how do you store your main supply, and how do you keep it dry? We have a metal shed at a back corner of our property.

Leads to good products or stores will be helpful.
    James
    Last edited by james; 05-14-2006, 01:19 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Wood

James,

I have two woodsheds: one fairly close to the house for the fireplace and woodstove and another, purpose built, fairly close to the oven. Because it is so close, I don't need a carrier to bring wood to the oven; hand'sll do. Also, because of the proximity, I don't need to store wood under the oven. I use that space for tools and such, also empty beer cases. Works good. It might be an idea to make a larger version of the heavy canvas wood carriers suppliers like LL Bean sell for fireplace wood. Just put on heavier handles. Merely a thought.

Dry is a priority. In the very short term, you can even stack your wood and cover it with a left-over sheet of plywood, or a piece of metal roofing, slanted for drainage.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have a concern about storing stacks of wood anywhere in my yard here in Texas. Snakes and Scorpions love to hide in wood stacks! (I've avoided snake bites so far, but not the scorpions!)

Hmm, maybe I figure out a pie with snake as a topping and they'll stay away.

Comment

Bites

Stuart,

An I thought I had problems with mere black flies, deer flies, moose flies, TRUCK flies and mosquitoes (aka gators) here in Ontario. A very long time ago, I remember a truck stop somewhere in southern Texas that had deep-fried rattler on the menu. Just a thought for your next pizza.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

someday the bottom will drop out

no matter what. Our favorite bucket our favoriate firewood holder - someday the bottom falls out....

I live in tick country. We had a mild winter and they are out in droves. I try to stay away from direct contact with firewood this time of year.

I use a oiled canvas tote that I've had for almost 20 years (ouch-Im getting old) I think the oil has kept oxegen away from the tote. It's been great. I see similar totes - looks like nylon has replaced oiled canvas. but the same concept. I use it to fuel my fire pit and look forward to when we start firining our pizza oven.
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

My wood situation needs improvement

I have a stack of unsplit cutoffs from a sawmill in my driveway. I move it to the oven in a wheelbarrow. I split wood behind the oven on a stump. But I've got no dry storage near the oven - I need a box or something.

I hope to make some room in the dehumidified garage, so I can keep a couple fires' worth of wood dry. Failing that, I pack the oven with wet wood after firing and use the oven as a kiln.
            There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

log cart

Late to this thread, been busy.

This log cart came from Brookstone years ago when they were "hard to find tools", not "tacky stuff at the mall". It's good for lugging logs from distant woodpile to fire, and storing it. It carries more than you can lug in a sling.

I have no idea where you would get one now. An enterprising person could make one.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Wood and Wood Storage

We have our oven that rearends our back veranda. We have a storage area
                under the oven, but I think I will let it become a storage area also. We will probably put our wood, stacked neatly, (now am I dreaming or what), near the oven. We will cover the storage area either with a iron roof, I have lots of old
                iron roofing that came off a rent house. I plan to cover the oven with an iron
                roof after I make sure it heats well. I will then complete the walls of the platform. I am not sure what to put between the outside of the cement walls and the hollow block walls, probably just air or maybe rice hulls. We do not have all that fancy stuff like you do there in the USA. I was told not to use sand as sand may draw heat from the cement walls. I was thinking of filling in the cement wall to the hollow block walls with more cement but I think that would make the mass of our oven too much and require too much wood to fire it off.
                I am even thinking of just finishing the outside off and letting it go at that.
                Not even using the hollow blocks. Any suggestions?
                JJ

Comment

winter and mosquitos

I have to laugh when folks speak of mild winters. Here, in November we
                  are still getting temps of well over 80. We expect the weather to get cooler
                  at the end of November. We also expect to be in Houston for the real cool
                  weather, when it gets in the 70's, December and January.
                  As for misquitos, you all ''aint seen nothing yet''. Here they issue the mosquitos
                  pilots licenses and most work for one of the airlines. We do have minimal mosquitos when we fire the oven off because of the smoke. We have a pair of guinea hens and after we get our first clutch of eggs we will let the pair and its
                  off spring our to control all the insects. We do not have a lot of ticks, but
                  flys are everywhere, along with mosquitos.
                  We have a good draw on our oven...
                  the insects leave as they see me head our back.
                  JJ
                  Philippines

Comment

Working...
                  X