Checking for cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking for cracks

How often during the curing stage should I remove my FB Blanket and check for cracks? If ever? And if I do find a crack do I fill it and proceed? Fill it and wait another week before curing?

I couldn't find anything in the instructions on this but I thought I read somewhere that you should pull the blanket every so often, just don't remember how often. I don't particularly like working with the blanket so the less I have to the better.

-Shay
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Checking for cracks

Shay,

You will get, at the very least, some hairline cracks visible inside the dome. This is due to the thermal expansion/contraction of the structure. When you see a few of these, don't sweat it and keep on curing.

Even dome cracks a little wider than hairline aren't worth repairing (the repair will likely crack). The blanket over the cracks will keep the heat where it belongs.

I never checked under my blanket during curing. If the inside of your dome looks good, leave it be.

If and when you see your cracks, feel free to proudly show us some pictures .

There's no worse feeling than seeing your first crack. We'll cheer you up and get you pumped for pizza.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post

There's no worse feeling than seeing your first crack.
      Agreed - I must have lost some weight this summer busting butt in the Nevada heat. I was walking around this morning with my tool belt on when I realized my shorts and under-ware were sitting on the south side. Thank god I was in the backyard.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Uh Les, I think Ken was talking about a crack in the pizza oven.. not uh.. well.. yeah..
        Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Shay - it was a bad attempt at a joke (but true) , sorry. EVERYONE that sees a crack has concerns - I did myself. As Ken mentioned, it usually is not an issue. I have seen an oven that had a 5/8 crack (on the outside) and it performed great. The ceramic blanket will hide a multitude of sins. If you don't see anything crazy on the inside of the dome, I would not sweat it.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I know that! It's called 'sarcasm'..

I'll be watching the inside only then.. thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to post pics of the first pizza later this week!!!
            Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I found that it was quite dificult to see cracks on the inside while curing because it was all black. everynow and then I could see a slight white line/mark but couldn't tell whether it was a crack or just a clean spot the smoke hadn't got too yet. It wasn't until I cleared the dome that you are able to clearly see the cracks.

I havn't lifted my blanket yet but will do sometime before i add more layers and I proably will slap a little mortar on the cracks if there are any balck marks on the blanket. Then close her up for good.
              Real men cook with fire
              My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Working...
              X