Thermometer recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer recommendations?

Are infrared and laser thermometers the same thing (I wouldn't think so, but just asking)?

What max temperature should we shop for in a thermometer?

Any brand or model recommendations, or to-avoid-recommendations?

There are quite a pile of point-and-shoot thermometers on ebay, in addition to other sources. I'm not really sure what to look for.

Any additional thoughts on this topic?

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Re: Thermometer recommendations?

I have a 500˚C one and it often displays "High" meaning that the oven is over this temp.
    You will need at least this range or to 1000˚F. The range that you intend cooking your pizzas.
    Lower temps for your breads, buns and roast will then be easily read and cooking times calculated on traditional domestic oven times.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I find the cheap little oven thermometers that you place inside your oven and can buy at kitchen shops, are a simple and reliable so;ution, only problem is that they top out at around 330 C, so not much use for piiza temp measurement. Drilling holes in the side of your oven for a probe etc. can create problems. Once you get to know your oven you rely less and less on temp measurement.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I bought the cheapest one I could find that goes up to 1000F. on Ebay. I'm pretty sure it's the same one they sell at Harbor Freight. I think it was like $35 or $40. Works great and is pretty handy in the garage and bike shop as well.

Comment

I have a Raytek that I bought before the cheaper ones became available. Works great!.

Technically what you are after is an infrared thermometer. They are probably referred to as laser thermometers for they typically shine a red light to show where they are aimed but the light has nothing to do with the actual temperature measurement.

There are a number that go to 900 to 1000. There is little advantage between the two for you really want the oven down in the 800 range on the hearth to bake. The dome will be hotter - 900-1000 but exact temp isn't very critical and getting both to the right temperature could be tricky.

One factoid to note is that the light puts a tiny red dot on the surface being read. The actual area measured grows rapidly as the gun moves from the surfact. On the ones I have looked at the area read seems to be about a 1 foot circle at 3 feet or so. And it gives you the average over that area. (So if you are 6 feet away and shining it in your oven you may be reading your landing as well as your oven)

Good Luck!
          Jay

Comment

I bought the Harbor Freight one, and it seems to work.
            Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

I bought a kinda expensive unit at SEARS, 89.00 $ and its rated for 1400 degrees, It worked great till I left it out one night and of course it rained... Ruined it... I went to sears and it was covered under their craftsman replacement guarentee,, (They didnt care why it wasnt workinng) I got a less expensive unit that goes up to 1000 degrees and works great too.. Only now I make sure I bring it inside when im done.... I also got a 35.00 gift card since i bought the cheaper one (they didnt have mine in stock)
              Im happy with it
              Mark

Comment

harbor freight has one on sale tell 10-12-09
                ITEM 96451-0VGA

$59.99 Non-Contact Laser Thermometer
                Non-Contact Laser Thermometer

Instantly measure temperatures in automobile engines or other machinery by simply pointing the laser.

* Professional quality, German infrared technology at an excellent value
                * Temperature range: -4?F/-20?C to 968?F/520?C
                * Distance to spot accuracy: 8 to 1
                * Single circuit chip design prevents jamming
                * Celsius/Fahrenheit LCD display with backlighting
                * Accuracy: +3?F/+2?C or 2% of reading
                * Nonslip cushioned grip

9 volt DC battery included. Overall dimensions: 7" L x 1-3/4" W x 4-1/2" L at grip
                Weight: 0.35 lbs.
                think is 39.99

Comment

Will this one be suitable?

Digital Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer -25~560?C /?F - eBay, Thermometers, Gadgets, Electronics. (end time 22-Oct-09 23:51:57 AEDST)

Many thanks
                  Gayle

Comment

That looks fine and the price isnt that bad,, I find now that I have been cooking a while that i barely use my IR thermometer anymore, so if you dont want to spend the money.. just start cooking when the dome turns white ...

Cheers Mark

Comment

I agree with Mark. An IR thermometer is a neat toy, but... I find the easiest way to know if the oven is ready is to throw a tiny amount of semolina on the hearth. If the hearth is the right temp the semolina will be yellow, yellow, black when counted as seconds. I.e. three seconds is about right. And the price is right also!
                      Jay

Comment

Thanks Mark,

I am using a bbq with a terracotta tile until i can save for my portable pizza oven - $1500 AUD Small Steel Oven. I am renting so it must be portable.

My pizzas are burning on the base but cooking lovely on the top. Maybe I will get a hearth thermometer so not to waste money on something that will become redundant.
                        Gayle

Comment

thats not a bad lookin little oven,,,, ask them if they will give you a reference of someone who has one so you can get a real idea of how well it works

Comment

I picked up an IR thermometer at a local auto shop for $59. It reads over 1000 F. I think it's nice to have for the retained heat baking.

Comment

I agree Papavino. An IR thermometer is almost a necessity IMO for bread and is useful for even slow roasting at 275. But for pizza there are other ways to figure out the temperature!

Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X