X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy
    replied
    Re: Oven Curing

I am at day 7 had a fire last night and I see a few cracks and a fair amount of smoke coming out. I can see the fire in the oven in some of the cracks. What would be my next step to fix the cracks. (heat stop or high heat caulk from the wood stove store)

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

You guys are incorrigable! Thanks, I needed a good laugh!!

That makes me really glad nobody's out taking pics while I'm building...

Where's that other crack joke thread we had a while back? Did you miss it RT? I really thought we'd cracked all the possible "crack" jokes then.... but it turns out that nooooo....

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

HaHa

Be careful what you wish for!!!

I cracked myself up with that post.

No bun, I mean pun, intended.

Frances,

Don't show that one to the children, might scar em for life.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
    Oh man Dave, you have left yourself wide open on this one. Out of respect for all the help you've offered everyone, your good humor, and WFO ambassadorship.....I will keep my wise "cracks" to myself

I would like to see someone, anyone, chime in with a good line......just for
    s#@ts and giggles

RT

Thanks... i think ...... hahahah

My wife has been taking pics lately so....

Does anyone remember the old Toyota commercial:
    "You asked for it, you got it ---- TOYOTA"

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Oh man Dave, you have left yourself wide open on this one. Out of respect for all the help you've offered everyone, your good humor, and WFO ambassadorship.....I will keep my wise "cracks" to myself

I would like to see someone, anyone, chime in with a good line......just for
    s#@ts and giggles

RT

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Love your own crack hey? Reminds me of what Oscar Wilde said about masturbation. He prefered it over relationships with others because "You meet a better class of person"

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I'd keep increasing a 100 degrees every day.

Then I'd give it hell this weekend!
    Shoot for a clean dome on Saturday and pizza!! woohoo

Start reading up on recipes and dough management!

Excellent work Dick.

Remember I ramped mine up quick, and I have a big crack... so trust your instincts... if you feel you are rushing then back off a bit.

But I do love my crack.... adds character.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

I noticed the new curing only goes to 500 on day 5. After that do you go straight to 900 or should you try to ramp up to 600, 700, 800 a few times.

I've heard when you train for a marathon you don't actually run 26 miles (in training) until the day of the race. Is curing the same?

My curing to date:
    12 hours (over 5 days) 300-550 using 1" of blanket (fixed a coupld of cracks)
    Then added 2" blanket/4" perlcrete
    5 1/2 hours (over 2 days) 350-450

I was planning a few more fires I take it to 900. I can only build after work for 2-3 hours in the evening.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• maburton
    replied

I am curing my new oven this week. I have gotten air temps up to 650 F with a single propane burner wide open for about 4 hours. Wall temps were up to 500.
    Should I purchase another burner and run two at a time or start building wood fires to get a hotter oven temp? wood fires will be much harder to control the temps, but cheaper than gas.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Agreed. Hold those early fires to around 300-350?, and if they are shorter, do more. :-)

James

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

I concur. The Junk-man is right on. The longer you spend, the better.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaJNKY
    replied

Badger, I think your idea will work...At least I hope it will, cause thats exactly what I've been doing. If you've already insulated the oven, just seal it up after you're done with curing for the day. I think the retained heat will continue to cure and drive out moisture for several days.

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Getting ready to cure...

I may only be able to do this on the weekends/evenings after work as I don't want to take too much more time off of work.

What should I do?

Still cure at 300 but maybe for two days? That is 2 - 4 hour cures?

Then gradually work my way up the temp scale i.e, extend to a 10 day curing period?

Thanks
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• Chef
    replied

when speaking of the temp to cure your oven is it the temp of the dome, floor, walls??

Leave a comment:

• Irv Mac Dowell
    replied

Thanks, James.

Actually, the instructions that came with my oven included the curing method you attached. I'm really looking forward to getting started with the curing in a week or so.

Best regards,

Irv

Leave a comment:

Working...
X