Pizza oven ignition system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza oven ignition system?

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts on an ignition system for my about to be created pizza oven. I would like to have a gas line run to the oven, kind of operating as a flame thrower to ignite the wood faster. I am thinking of some sort of burner, but not really sure what or how I would go about it. Has anyone done this type of thing before on their home built pizza ovens or have any ideas/suggestions?

I have not read about or seen any pictures, so I am also wondering why? To me it seems like a great idea. Turn the flame thrower on for a few minutes and your wood fire is ready to go.

Thanks for any suggestions,

sparky

Re: Pizza oven ignition system?

Hi Sparky, Welcome to the forum!

I have not read about or seen any pictures, so I am also wondering why?
    This topic comes up here every so often. You haven't seen any examples on this forum because it's a crazy-dangerous idea and not worth the time, cost or risk (sorry to be so blunt ). A small gas build-up at the top of your dome could ignite and ruin your whole day.

A few guys use portable propane gadgets like weed burners, but none of this is really necessary. I think it's serious overkill.

My ignition system is very inexpensive and starts a roaring hot fire in about 3 minutes. Here's the gear I use:

You can buy Fatwood sticks at any Lowes, Home Depot or hardware store (especially this time of year in the northern hemisphere). Fatwood is a type of dried-out pine that's loaded with flammable sap. They are fantastic firestarters.

When you start your project, be sure to keep us up to date with pictures!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I agree completely with Ken. Extremely dangerous and unnecessary. Yes, commercial ovens have them, but they also have extensive & expensive regulating systems as well as commercial fire suppression systems installed.
      Building a fire is not hard. The top down method really works well. The key is to start with DRY wood and dry kindling. Personally, I have a of woody plants on my property that I am constantly trimming, so I have an endless supply of kindling - that and 1/2"-1" sticks/twigs are all you need.

RT

Comment

I concur - not worth the hassle or potential danger.

I posted this a while back - truth be told, I just use newspaper and a match. The couple of times I did use this puppy, it got the job done.

YouTube - A tool for lighting fires.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I use a welding torch and a top-down wood stack.

Sparky -- you should check other threads on this topic. FB comes down heavily against using gas burners or starters in residential wood ovens. Too risky.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Just for a visual reference of what could happen. I have thought about using gas in some way, but then I think of this...

My Build Thread

Comment

Join the Boy Scouts.

Comment

No boy scouts needed. Just newspaper, dry kindling, and a match.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

But the propane tank survived...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	boom.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	278662
                  Ed

Comment

One other factor to consider... with my build, because there was no electrical or gas involved and the unit was freestanding from dwelling structures with adequate setbacks to the property line, no local building permit was required. Different jurisdictions are always unique, but typically, the more complex the installation, the more red tape is involved. Gas lines are a gigantic safety-related red flag item for inspections pretty much everywhere.
                    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Our UL/ANSI Listing for the Modena G (gas/wood combo oven) cost over three times more than our Modena W (wood only) Listing.

Gas is definitely a red flag for inspectors -- because it can be dangerous.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                      X