This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing and finding wood

Ah, 3 doors, I like the idea of a wood door to dry wood in between firings. I also still need a door during firings as I've only made one for baking so far.

Comment

That is some really nice stone work beautifully done. I wish I had that kind of diy talent.
      Bill

Comment

Me too! that's why I hired out the stone veneer work. I figured I'd handle the ugly stuff that gets covered up. After I finished the oven dome and wood pergolla I was worn out anyway. Here's a pic of the guys laying it up.

Comment

There is no doubt there is "good" and "bad" wood in relation to WFO fires. I think key factors that would affect it's good/bad rating are density, moisture content and impurities in the wood. To demonstrate this - have you ever tried to barbeque using wood that doesn't reatin heat and burns too quickly/smokes (impurities)? I certainly have and it's not fun at all and can even taint the meat.

There is no difference if the wood is burned in a BBQ or a WFO - it's properties should remain the same.

Just consider the top pizza restaurants for a moment. Given that they run their operations for profit, do you not think that they would use cheaper woods if they produced the same results as more expensive wood types? I'm sure they would if it was in their interest to do so - but of course they don't. They know that the quality of the wood is an integral element of the WFO cooking process.

Rossco
          / Rossco

Comment

The use of "Seasoned Wood" . What is seasoned wood, I thought it was wood that has been allowed to air dry for a few months or was heat dried for some commercial use. How do you manage to dry large amounts of wood for a wfo? I know I do not have a oven yet, but from what I read you that do enjoy yours on a regular basis.

Comment

Even though I "age" my firewood for the house wood burning appliances-cook stove, fireplace and multi-fuel furnace and WFO for at least a year. After firing the WFO and baking I load the oven with enough wood for starting the next fire. The residual heat in the oven further dries out the wood so it starts quickly. I use a patterned layer around the perimeter of the oven and a stack in the center. The wood I use is about the size of my arm from wrist to elbow and the same diameter. It is not too big nor is it too small. I light the center and the perimeter catches on shortly after that. The oven is almost up to temperature when that layer is all burning and glowing coals. I add more wood then check the temperature of the center hearth. If it is up to temperature. i.e. browns a handful of flour thrown in, I start forming my pizza's.

Comment

I got home this evening and saw the my neighbour had got the council around to lop the gum tree outside his house. Stacked neatly (for collection tomorrow) was a whole bunch of very nice wood. He was happy for me to take it so I popped around and dragged all of the big bits to my front garden and cut them up into decent lengths for drying and burning in the WFO.

It will need a few months to dry properly and I will remove and split the wood later so that it dries right through. We are coming up to the hottest month in the year so it should hopefully not take too long to reach the burning stage.

As there are about 600 different varieties of Gum trees in Australia I have no idea which variety this is. I'm guessing it could be red gum based on the colour but all the gums are hardwoods so all would be suitable for use in the WFO.

So, always be on the lookout for wood suitable for use in the WFO - there seems to be quite a bit out there going begging. We are due for a bulk rubbish collection here (council collects junk and garden waste like bushes and wood from your house) so I may just have a quick look around the neighbourhood over the weekend and see if I can find any more which I can grab for free.

Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

I had a Lychee tree lopped recently and asked the guys to leave me some short lengths to split. It is beautiful dense burning wood. I'm sure if anyone contacted these guys you'd be able to get free or cheap wood, but you need to leave it for a year before burning.Get it cut to short lengths so it's easier to split.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Coolness!

In Alabama, you usually see wood in the fall or spring when people are either trimming (Fall) or cutting down (Spring). Actually, the majority of the bulk in land fills here is wood from homeowners. After I retire, I'd love to get a portable saw mill and just go around sawing up the big trunks. You see some nice specimens go wanting and a heck of a lot of perfectly good firewood go to waste.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by nandj1966 View Post
                      The use of "Seasoned Wood" . What is seasoned wood, I thought it was wood that has been allowed to air dry for a few months or was heat dried for some commercial use. How do you manage to dry large amounts of wood for a wfo? I know I do not have a oven yet, but from what I read you that do enjoy yours on a regular basis.
                      Seasoned = air dried

Fireplace Lowdown: Seasoned Wood, What Does That Mean?

Buy a truck and hit Selma in a couple of months - you will find a year's worth of wood on curb sides waiting for pick up. WA lot of people get old trees cut in late winter/ early spring while the leaves are still off. Dead trees are available year round, of course! :teeth:

Seriously, over on the west side toward Orrville I used to see massive amounts of wood waiting for the garbage pickup.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes, I paid over $100 for the same amount of wood a few months ago so it's great when you can get it for free. Whilst it is a bit of a hassle to cut and stack it ... then wait for a good few months before you use it, I still believe it is worth the effort. If you can replenish the supply on a regular basis you can actually become self sufficient in wood which is great.

Rossco
                        / Rossco

Comment

I went by my former house today - there was a couple weeks worth of wood in large branches laying on the ground.

Okay, I've officially lost it - I actually looked at it and wondered if I had room on the trailer. I don't even have an oven yet!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                            Okay, I've officially lost it - I actually looked at it and wondered if I had room on the trailer. I don't even have an oven yet!
                            Just wait ... the obsession will only get worse with time ... and out of control once you get the oven .. trust me... I know!!!

Rossco
                            / Rossco

Comment

I just started firing my oven and noticed this post. I am a small furniture manufacture and always have a barrel of 4-5" pieced near the chop saw. Since there is no aftermarket for recycling this product, it goes in the trash. We use primarily alder which has worked great in the oven.

Check your area for local furniture or cabinet shops and I'm certain they would rather give it to you as apposed to paying to have it hauled off in the trash.

Comment

Stairs and flooring guys too. But not manufactured flooring. Unfinished oak or maple are a best bet.

Comment

Working...
                                X