This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

Forno Gator - If you don't mind me asking where did you locate the apple wood in BC? I've been trying to find some for the BBQ but haven't had any luck so far.

Comment

Just went and had a one day class at Antica Pizzeria, They use only walnut wood. They purchase it from

California Charcoal & Firewood
      1518 S Eastern Ave.
      Commerce, CA 90040
      Tel: 323 260-5390.

They are really nice people and sell it on a 43-47lb bag, each log 16-18 inches for $13 per bag. The have a nice assortment, check out their website!

Comment

Glad to hear that you found walnut.. Let us know how it burns. I've been told that the amount of calories in the wood relates directly to the weight / density of the dry wood.. Is it heavier than oak?

Chris

Comment

Another source of wood is arborists and tree trimming firms. I picked up a load of mesquite for free. I also watch craigslist during this time of the year in the FREE (one of my favorite words) section. Last week I scored a cord of mesquite as well.

I am still looking to get a chainsaw and get me some oak for a change (tired of smelling like smoked meat after getting the fire set up). I am hoping to talk with some of the Pecan Orchard guys for some limbs as well - used to get it for free when I was in college. Getting Hickory is out of the question due to cost in Aridzona though.
          Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fisherhum View Post
            Forno Gator - If you don't mind me asking where did you locate the apple wood in BC? I've been trying to find some for the BBQ but haven't had any luck so far.
            I checked the ad from BC and it is no longer active. I've e-mailed him and am waiting for a response. I believe it is in Kelowna BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin0422 View Post
              Just went and had a one day class at Antica Pizzeria, They use only walnut wood. They purchase it from

California Charcoal & Firewood
              1518 S Eastern Ave.
              Commerce, CA 90040
              Tel: 323 260-5390.

They are really nice people and sell it on a 43-47lb bag, each log 16-18 inches for $13 per bag. The have a nice assortment, check out their website!
              I took some firewood across the Can/US border and homeland security made me go back to Canada and chuck my wood before they'd let me in. Canada will do the same if I take wood from US to Can. Therefore I can only get wood from up here.... not worth the hassle.

Comment

Is there a trick to keep the smoke to a minimum. Once the fire is going good there is little smoke, and if I keep the door off when I add wood to a good fire there is little smoke, but when I'm getting it going there is quite a bit of smoke. Chime in with your experiences. Thx.

Comment

I have been burning walnut and I smell like I have ran a meat smoker as well. I heard apple wood is great. How is oak for cooking pizza. I need a wood that burns hot and has little smoke. I made sure I stripped the bark, but firing my oven still produced alot of smoke. I like near other homes in a tract so I want the smoke to stop quick when I fire the oven. Any ideas on wood that would help in this and still burn hot

Comment

The past 3 days I've been cooking everyday with the Forno Oven and have not had a bad pizza or item yet. I've done; pizza, tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, potatoes, butterflied whole chicken, green beans with salt and olive oil, asparagus with salt and olive oil, pizza dough like pita bread, and pizza dough in a ball for a crusted soft bread. I do enjoy barbequing and this is much more fun.

I've been burning untreated moldings once the oven is hot and I'm cooking. Mostly poplar, maple and some oak. Oak burns hot and smokes little if the door is open.... if you close the door it smokes quite a bit, as does boards that you just put in the oven such as maple and poplar. I'll let you know what apple wood is like once I get some.

Comment

Originally posted by fisherhum View Post
                      I received a reply from the fella in BC. He's in Vernon and is still selling cut and split apple wood, pm me and I'll forward you his number. Thx

Comment

I am gonna second (or third) the idea of checking with a local cabinet or furniture maker. My neighbor works for a high-end furniture maker and he says they fill up 4 or 5 50 gallon trashcans every day with hardwood scraps. He told me to just get him a trashcan and he will gladly fill it up for me. I asked him if the wood is treated in any way and he told me it is not.

Now I just need to get a trashcan.
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Sounds like a good idea for oak. I picked up 2 cords of apple wood/cherry wood from BC. Only problem is the ad said split and I get there and none of it is split after driving for 6 1/4 hours. I've tried splitting with an 8 lb maul and it requires 7 or 8 swings to split up an 10" diameter X 16" length piece.... and he told me to "make sure you get a 20 ton splitter because it'll wreck a 10 ton splitter". Good news is guys are selling cords of apple wood here for $1200 to $1500 and I bought it for $220 cord + tip + fuel (they loaded most of it into my cargo trailer + truck).

Comment

I really like using fruit woods like apple and cherry... very little smoke and it gives off a very nice scent. Oak is also nice... reminds me of woodworking. Has anyone used vines from vineyards?

Comment

Just curious, have y'all tried starting a small fire, letting it get hot and building from there? I wonder if that wouldn't help with the smoke issues some of you are having.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                              [/CENTER]

Comment

A couple of years ago I was at a market and I was placed beside a lady who was selling hand knitted baby clothes. Not wanting to spoil her merchandise with my smoke, I used the top down method and built the fire slowly and gradually. By doing this I was able to fire the oven without it smoking at all. You also have to be vigilant ant keep a flam going all the time. The blowpipe is great for this.
                                On the subject of finding wood, I've found that getting wood is a most enjoyable experience.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X