This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing and finding wood

Agree, have never noticed a 'smoke flavor' when using the WFO. have not noticed any difference when using oak or apple wood.
    Use of aromatics, fresh rosemary, can impart flavor to the food.
    Use my Weber Bullet for getting that ring of smoke and flavor.

Comment

Richard, We've never tried adding rosemary. Do you toss some directly on the coals, near the coals, or ad it to the food? We have considerable rosemary in our yard. Deer and other critters don't seem to like it and we can't eat it at anywhere near the rate it grows.
      Thanks,
      Earl

Comment

Rosemary

Earl, do both. Toss some rosemary branches across the coals so some burns and some smolders. When I open the door to check the food, I usually toss in a new branch, 'bout a foot long or more. It's as much for the air/ambience as it is for the food. Makes the neighborhood comment!

Also, strip off the leaves and add to food or marinades. It's a great accompanyment to garlic.... Roast Meats like lamb, stuff inside chickens before roasting, with roast potatoes.....
        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I've read some post mentioning that Eucalyptus is not good to use when cooking (to add flavour) in the WF ovens
          But would it be ok to heat the oven initially (and then switch to a more favourable timber)?

Any other Aussies out there tried Redgum or smilar in their ovens?

Its easy enough to get if you know a local farmer
          OR in my case it is closer than that - I have to replace some more timber retaining wall (sleepers) on my property so I might hold onto a few.

Another thing thats a great tip I picked up - Rosemary.
          I'm always trimming this bush in my back garden.....now the off cuts can be used in the oven instead of filling up the "green waste" bin
          Last edited by Bacterium; 05-01-2007, 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

would not recommend Eucalyptus as it is very oily and unless you plan on having a chimney sweep come by, would not use.

have four white birch trees that need to be removed. Has anyone use this? What are the characteristics of the wood, i.e BTU's (a lot or a little), ash (lot or little) etc

thanks

ps agree with Xambia on use of rosemary, in fire, on food it all works

Comment

We also lost 5-7 European birch in the past few years. I remember reading something about a birch beetle. Ours had clear bore holes. I think the nurseries have started carrying an Asian birch which is resistant.

Either way, I burned our birch wood, and it did fine. It's seemed to be very dense and it burned well.

Does anyone else have experience with this?
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

The only thing about white birch is that the bark has a lot of resin in it. Cured, with the bark on, it will go off like a bomb. I usually strip off as much of the resinous bark as I can. Otherwise, it's a straight grained, medium hard wood that burns well and hot.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Agree with Jim - Used to burn birch scraps in my shop when I was a cabinetmaker years ago. More heat than dried popalar and less ash.

Which brings up another source of aromatic woods - Cabinet and furniture shops - I always had a pile of cherry, oak, and other hardwood cutoffs/ edge trimmings in the back of my shop - I would have been happy to have someone come and haul them away.

Another source - There is a pallet building plant a few miles from my house - I have already talked to the owner and he said I was welcome to all the scraps I need to keep my oven burning. nice 10 or 12 inch pieces all in a huge pile. I have seen these kinds of places near most relatively large cities and they usually have a pile of scrap sitting nearby.

Truck/Trailer body repair shops usually have truck flooring scraps as well - these will require a little more cutting before use.

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a question/concern in regards to burning pallets.
                    Several (actually many - 10/12) years ago a friend who ran a rather large shipping and receiving dept (1000+ pallets on hand) warned me against using pallet lumber for anything other than its intended use.
                    According to him, the majority of the pallets his company bought and used were treated with insecticides, fungicides, and water repellants to allow for prolonged outdoor storage and increase life expectancy. He warned that cutting, sanding, and burning were not recommended - the dust or smoke could be toxic. Naturally, he was speaking directly about the pallets his company used, but, he made a good point - Unless you know the actual source of any pallet, you have know way of knowing if it has been treated.
                    Since that warning, I have stayed away from using pallets for any building or burning .I have enough problems with seasonal allergies and certainly don't want to add toxic dust or smoke to the equation .

Maybe this guy was mearly "blowing smoke" and didn't want me asking for any of his pallets...I don't know. Has anyone else heard about treating pallets with the above mentioned???

Comment

RT,

Nope, haven't heard about treating pallets in my neck of the woods. Generally, they get beat up pretty badly and don't last all that long. I get two types here: sofwood for light loads and hardwood (usually oak) for heavy loads like brick or block. The really, really good ones are painted, so you know they have a $15 deposit on them. Natch, I don't burn the painted ones, but the other sort are usually donated in my direction when they aren't much good for anything else. I've never noticed any sort of chemical smell from them, and it seems that going to the expense of treating something that doesn't last all that long would be a waste of money. Don't know about other areas of the continent.

Jim
                      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Has anyone used mesquite? Does it generate the BTU's? We have an abundance of it here and use it for BBQing in the pit

Comment

I've never used an oven (it's on my to do list right after 'build the oven' ) but we had a number of campfires when I was in NM. As I recall mesquite burned really fast - salt cedar being the only thing I've ever seen burn faster. For a sustained fire I wouldn't think it would be suitable - but as an aromatic it is of course great. The problem isn't that it doesn't burn hot - it does - but in order to get an oven up to temp you'd probably have to burn three times as much as you would hardwood or even of a denser softwood.

Out of curiosity - and having nothing to do with your question other than it got me thinking about NM - I wonder how well cottonwood would do? It's denser than mesquite although I don't think it's a hardwood.

Anybody ever use sweet gum?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                          [/CENTER]

Comment

Mesquite is a hardwood so I would think that it would be fine. In regard to cottonwood, it has about 1/2 the BTU's as oak. I burned it here one year and all I got was ash - I'll never cut it again.

Les...
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Cool - maybe it was just the salt cedar I was remembering (a wood pile approx 10'x20' went in just over 12 hours - no, it wasn't that big of a bonfire. Pine would have taken less than 1/3 if that).
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                              [/CENTER]

Comment

Regarding pallet burning, fumigation and heat treating are two practices used in the industry and one reason is not to spread disease/bugs to other countries when shipping items internationally. Here's a link with an example the markings, scroll down a bit: 337 - November 10, 2003-More Information - Institute of Packaging Professionals

Another for the Canuck: Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Plant Health Division - Policy Directive 01-05 - The Canadian Wood Packaging Certification Program

Comment

Working...
                                X