• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les
    replied
    Re: Starting my barrel vault

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    The only cracks I have are the ones I pre-engineered in the back and front of the oven. I fired my vault the next morning after laying up and every I time worked on it after, since it was cold out.
    A crack is a crack - I don't think they are a problem unless you are a plumber...

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The only cracks I have are the ones I pre-engineered in the back and front of the oven. I fired my vault the next morning after laying up and every I time worked on it after, since it was cold out.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Jim, I didn't bother with curing. I am fortunate enough to live in an area that in mid-summer, it wouldn't change a thing (I had very little mortar to cure anyways).

If your oven started to clean, go for it next time. Taking your time curing is not a guaranty that you will not get cracks. I do not believe that any one that uses mortar doesn't have some crack(s)

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

I had a spot about 1 foot in diameter at the center top of the dome burn clean , but that is it . Should i have gotten it hotter?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
    so is it time , after the oven cools down , to build a full on scary fire ? What temps should i be looking for? thanks.
    It sounds like you are good to go - try and melt brick Have you had the oven burn clean yet?

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

well i have been doing curing fires over the last week . the one today got the back and side walls to 550 , the hearth to 400 and the dome to 750 . so is it time , after the oven cools down , to build a full on scary fire ? What temps should i be looking for? thanks.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Very nice and with that much insulation cooking in the winter will be easy. You will be able to cook for a week on one firing.

Great job.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

Let it snow , I am ready . That was the big push for me to get everything done to the point that it was weatherproof . I can still work on it as time and weather permits ( as you can see it still needs a ton of work ) but I dont have to worry about things getting wet or snowed on now .The roof jack for the chimney is at the fabricators now and should be done tomorrow . Most of the remaining work will probably be done next spring after worry of freezing , but I can start learning how to cook on this contraption soon !!

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

Got all the holes filled in the structure so now it was time to insulate . I put in 60 cubic feet of perlite ( 10 bags ) and this gave me , at the minimum insulation point 8 1/2 inches and at the maximum point 11 inches . I think that will work !!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
    here are a few more pics of the outside if anyone is interested.
    Great looking oven, and congratulations on the curing fires! I am right there with you at that stage. Also, for every reply, there are at least a hundred others who are very interested in your progress .

Keep your pics and updates coming.

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

here are a few more pics of the outside if anyone is interested.

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

my first curing fire woo hoo !!!

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

Had a chance today to make a little more progress .

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Pearlcrete is too crumbly, there is ceramic and fibreglass rope that is available, keep it in place with high temp silastic.

I used insulating fire bricks in my flue for the heat break.

Leave a comment:

• jim81147
    replied

Al the front arch is on its own platform . The whole front ( red bricks ) at this point is seperated from the hearth . The only portion that I am thinking will be touching will be when I start the chimney . I have not seen a way to isolate that part yet . So what do you think about the perlcrete or is there something better that is readily available ? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X