If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Lonestar , I built my oven on top of a 6inch perlcrete ( well it was a 2X6 so actually 5 1/2 inches ) pad . I did let it sit for almost a week covered with plastic to help it cure some . As for the mortar I used the homemade refractory 3-1-1-1 mortar for all the firebrick work ( in and out ) and tried to keep joint size down to a minimum . You can learn tons just looking at the build threads on here , they helped me a bunch . Have fun with it and post lots of pics .
Thanks for the reply Jim. I'm gonna do the same. 4" concrete topped with a 6" perlcrete pad. I also did a research on some older threads and think i have the mortar thing figured out, so I've just got to resume work on it now....
Lonestar , I built my oven on top of a 6inch perlcrete ( well it was a 2X6 so actually 5 1/2 inches ) pad . I did let it sit for almost a week covered with plastic to help it cure some . As for the mortar I used the homemade refractory 3-1-1-1 mortar for all the firebrick work ( in and out ) and tried to keep joint size down to a minimum . You can learn tons just looking at the build threads on here , they helped me a bunch . Have fun with it and post lots of pics .
Hey guys, started a barrel brick oven project I've wanted to do for 3 or 4 years, just now getting started.
I NEED HELP!!!
I have a background in concrete, so that's not the issue. I have questions, 2 in particular. First off, I've tried to use the search function here and it doesn't appear to be working. As you can see from my pics, I've got the block base down, and the 4" concrete pad on top of that. Fixing to start the hearth, and i guess I'm going to do a 6" Perlite pad, mixed 6 to 1.
Forgive me if these are stupid questions.
Question #1. Will the Perlite pad be strong enough to support the brick work and chimney in front? At 6" thick i think it should.
Question #2 What type of mortar do i use for the vault arch?? Regular firebrick mortar?? Do you use firebrick mortar on the inside joints and use regular mortar on the outside for strength?? I know this sounds dumb to some of you but I'm a concrete guy, not a brick layer.
Anyway, here's some pics of my deck, which i did myself. Like i said, i own a concrete construction co, and stamping and staining concrete is an every day thing.....
Leave a comment: