Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaps between FB board pieces

Hi

I have been lurking on these forums for well over a year, watching and learning from many of the excellent WFO builds. Waited for a long time but finally pulled the trigger. I flirted with the idea of Pompeii oven but finally went with Forno Bravo 40" Premio.

The oven is sitting in my garage and installation is already underway. Foundation, stand and insulation hearth are done. There was so much rich material on this site that I was able to make progress quickly. Back breaking work to be sure but no blockers yet. Thank you all for that. I really don't think I would have *ever* started had it not been for the multitude of encouraging journies on this forum. Next weekend I start assembling the dome.

I have a couple of questions that I could not find answers for in the forum. Wanted to see if some of the more experienced folks can help me out.

The 3" FB board that comes with Premio is precut to shape of the oven (convenient). However. it is not a single unit and is cut into 4 pieces. When I laid them out on the insulation hearth, the FB board pieces have gaps. In one or two spots the gap is wide enough that you can see the concrete below. Wouldn't this cause substantial amount of heat leakage (particularly on the edges)? I plan to use fireclay to level the cooking tiles. Wouldn't packing the gaps with fire clay be sufficient insulation? If not, any suggestions or what else I could use? I am attaching a few pictures for a visual idea.

The entire family is really excited about the oven even though my wife is not-so-secretly skeptical. She has reasons to be. I have no experience cooking with wood (only gas grills). I have never worked with bricks, cement or mortar of any kind or even tried baking anything with any form of dough!!! Basically decided to jump in the deep end to learn to swim. Woman is a saint to support me through this. She'll thank me once the pizzas and bread starts rolling out (at least that's what I keep telling my self ).

Working...
X