Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding- floor change

Hi guys,

I ran my oven a solid four years. 42” dome.

Nine months ago I dismantled it and moved to a new home. Now I’m pondering my rebuild and am thinking about changing the oven floor. Previously I had an all brick floor and while it worked well enough I found that it was not perfect. Some bricks settled slightly more than others leaving me with a few spots where my peel would catch on. I found this annoying and am wondering if it’d be a good idea to take this opportunity to change the floor to tiles? If so, how thick?

On casual glance on line on taobao - the Chinese answer to amazon - I find I can get all different size pizza stone tiles in thicknesses ranging from 1cm to 3cm? I’m thinking I should go with the 3cm.

Any suggestions? Should I just stick with the brick flooring and try to do a better job seating them? Is 3cm enough? Or overkill? Anyone know how thick the tiles are in the FB Kit ovens?

Also, another irritation I had with my floor was temperature drop. I normally would bake 3 Pizzas in one evening back to back but sometimes depending on how many guests 7 or 8 or more. And what I noticed was that of course my first pie would be finished in 90 seconds or less with a floor temp of around 400°C each successive pizza would take longer and longer to cook. It was as if each pizza would suck a little more of the heat out of those bricks. I’d measured the temp between pies and it was definitely dropping. I had doubts about my dome insulation but I’m pretty sure my floor’s insulation was pretty sound. Sometimes I’d pull the coals forward to reheat the floor a bit and stoke the fire at the back but I’d rather be able to just keep cooking. Will this be worse with tiles? They are thinner than firebricks of course but much much longer/wider so I’m not sure if they behave as if they have less or more thermal mass...

Because the the cooking time is usually short I never quite got a handle on juggling pies. Occasionally I might get two in the oven at the same time but not often. I suppose if it was an indoor oven my logistics would have been better but outdoors was difficult as I’d not spent enough time fixing up the oven surroundings.

Advice anyone?

Note this is my personal build and not related to my questions on a commercial oven.

Thanks,

Bob in Beijing

Oh, Bye the way, I will be attending the International Pizza Expo in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks in case any of you happen to also be going let me know! I’m going there to learn as I want to graduate from Amateur pizza maker to Pizza restauranteur.

Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html
Working...
X