X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millstone Man
    replied
    Re: took the plunge!

Wow thats a good day! Congrats on a day and job well done.

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

heres another try

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

front arch will be first to fall. Must be a sign! cant upload photo of front

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

I learned something today! I suck at laying brick!! had a helper today so i got over confident and laid 4 courses and inner arch. There is a great chance that i will wake up to a pile of bricks tomorrow. Just not too confident in my abilities at this time!! if this thing holds it will be a great advertisement for heat stop!!
    Pictures of todays progress?(don't feel good enough to call it progress)

Leave a comment:

• KraemerBAC
    replied

Looking good...Have fun with it and don't worry about the "goofs" we all have them somewhere

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"That helps extend the life of the blade (though I am on my second), reduces dust and reduces the noise a little. Cuts easier, too."

Soaking the brick for 2 or 3 min (until the bubbles stop) will help as well. The chop saw will also do the "double bevel" cuts you will find necessary on the top courses.

Leave a comment:

• countryboy
    replied

Looks good! you are off and running!!

A little every day or two will get you there in no time!

CB

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

Took the weekend off, but got the soldiers in and the landing walls up! take a look at pics and let me know if you think i screwed anything up. One thing i know i messed up was started with a 20" opening but ended up at 19" because of the 1/2" reveal for the door. still can get 12" height. Anyway i hope to get a few rings done tomorrow or maybe inner arch... thanks for any tips!

Leave a comment:

• countryboy
    replied

I'm using a cheap 14" chop saw that has been in my metal working shop for 8 years+. One of my boys holds a hose with a misting/shower sprayer on it directed at the diamond masonry blade. That helps extend the life of the blade (though I am on my second), reduces dust and reduces the noise a little. Cuts easier, too.

I'm not sure I would taper every brick. I did on this build and it has been a pretty good pain. Most rings are locked, and 3/4th of the bricks are cut with a simple angled/tapered cross cut, but the occasional custom brick to keep things in the round has been a challenge. Some guys on here have a nice jig for doing all that, but my saw wouldn't allow for an elaborate setup.

CB

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

Well i put the floor down and cut all the soldiers and a bunch of half brick. I dont think i am going to taper every half brick!! not unless i get my hands on a wet saw. or you all convince me. Its also time to think of an opening and dome height!

Leave a comment:

• Grimaldi
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Or masonry supply houses. You could get about 60 cubic feet of perlite for 200 bucks around here.
    I-10 Building Materials near San Antonio has Harborlite brand Perlite for $11.22 per 4 CF bag. It is not a coarse grade, but it does the job.

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

Wow I never thought of mcmaster Carr! I have a damn account with them too! I have used them for aluminum pipe, never thought of them for vermiculite. My problem was poor planning, lifetime problem!

Can I get the FB board wet?

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Originally posted by Lousdepot View Post
    23 bags of vermiculite!
    Looks Great!

I was shocked at 23 bags until I saw the bag. I ordered ours online from McMaster-Carr

As I remember, our vermiculite slab was still spongy after a day. I think I waited almost a week to build on it, however, if yours is solid, I say go for it.

I've been on other building forums but as soon as my project was finished, I left the forum. Here there are quite a few members with finished ovens so who knows, Fornobravo could be a lasting addiction.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

You're advised to keep the vermiculite damp for a week to cure it, but you can dampen the floor as well, if you want to move forward.

Leave a comment:

• Lousdepot
    replied

I am thinking of setting the floor today! the vermicrete i poured yesterday seems solid enough! actually surprised me. Is this a bad idea? I feel like i cant do anything without re assurance from this forum! at some point i am going to have to trust my own judgement. Is it possible to be addicted to the forum? i am running from my yard into house to jump on computer or open my file that has the plans, checking things 3 times! i need my head examined

Leave a comment:

Working...
X