X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

It will be a grape vine mosaic looking something like the drawing and taking artistic guidance from this piece.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

It has been a long time since I posted to this because of a number of factors.

It has also been a while since I made any changes or improvements to the oven.

I have been thinking for some time now on how to decorate the entry area of the oven and I have seen many great tile jobs done by others on this and other sites.

The attached sketch and photo are my plans for the vertical shelf in the front of the oven.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 04-17-2015, 09:35 PM. Reason: So errors

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Heirloom tomatoes coming off the vines, here is the one we picked last night for Bacon, Lettuce, and tomato sandwiches. On my bread of course.

Two versions for those in and out of the US.

2 LB 1 oz
    or
    .936 kg

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey Chip

love your WFO setting very nice.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Mr. C, nothing like a vine ripen tomato. I am going to use my meager production tomorrow for a little pizza party with friends. Preparing for a big neighborhood one coming in a couple weeks. This is to pay back the all of my neighbors for the noise and dust I made while building the WFO. BTW, the final stair rail product is very nice.
    It is always good to keep those close to the work happy. My neighbors get regular deliveries of fresh bread and an annual summer pizza bash.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Again, looks good...since we all are giving our .02, I'll say I'm glad you painted it brown...IMO, the white jumps out too much and over powered the stairs.

But you know what they say about opinions.

Anyway, it really finished off the whole area.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I think I preferred the white. It's a pity to camouflage the decorative effects.If you paint it black you lose all the subtle shadowing effects from the twists, but each to his own.
    It is actualy brown to match all of the trim on the oven and the house. But I see your point. The white primer did look nice.

Thanks for the complements on the beauty shots UB, DS,Tex

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Thought I would post an after painting the new railing, Beauty Shot.
    I think I preferred the white. It's a pity to camouflage the decorative effects.If you paint it black you lose all the subtle shadowing effects from the twists, but each to his own.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Mr. C, nothing like a vine ripen tomato. I am going to use my meager production tomorrow for a little pizza party with friends. Preparing for a big neighborhood one coming in a couple weeks. This is to pay back the all of my neighbors for the noise and dust I made while building the WFO. BTW, the final stair rail product is very nice.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

First red San Marzano came off the vine this evening. SWMBO took it off the vine and sliced it before I got an on the plant photo.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Purdy..........

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

very nice

you should be cooking! That hot dog bun post still has me hungry.

texman

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Thought I would post an after painting the new railing, Beauty Shot. Well except for the dead grass from the dog....

House is on the left, top of the stairs is the sunroom (party room) next to the pool and the second level to the garage, sauna is underground behind the oven at the deep end of the pool.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-17-2013, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Brickie, Learn something new everyday. Will have to remember the dish soap trick to help with the splatter.
    You can buy propriety anti spatter in a spray bottle from your weld shop, but the good old detergent works just as good.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    :wow, did you cold twist all those posts too>
    No, the twists were part if the existing old fence, I sliced and diced it to get the fence and gate at the top Of the stairs, and the verticals on the curved railing. The newel post at the start of the stairs was from an architectural salvage company here in Minnesota.

Still lots of work for me but much cheaper than hiring it done by a pro wrought iron shop. Just the stair rail was quoted at almost $1800.00 plus tax. So by doing it myself i saved quite a bit.

I was able to salvage most of the metal and am only out about $100 in steel and $50 in welding supplies, grinding disks and cutting wheels. The newel post cost $47.00. So about $200.00 total.

All the fence you see in this photo was either repositioned by slicing and dicing or built new from cutting up old fence and welding it into new positions, slopes and shapes. That stuff is really heavy to deal with but I think it turned out nice.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2013, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X