• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyfisherx
    replied
    Re: WFO Build in Connecticut

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
    Good thing about exercise ball is you can tweak it with a bit of air, if you have an air compressor handy.
    Exactly......It worked like a charm!
    No fair! You cheated yourself from the stick falling, backbreaking, mortar mess, brick falling, sweating, brick slipping beauty of using sticks! Great job.
    Tracy
    Thanks Tracy.....Cheated, yes I did and loved every minute of it. It was soooooo much easier. But now I have to get a face full of mortar dust and grind it clean.....so I guess its a wash.
    Last edited by flyfisherx; 07-25-2012, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

Russell, you mean the better half still uses the exercise ball?!?!?

I thought they are supposed to be bought, used religiously for a week then hang around the garage!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
    Good thing about exercise ball is you can tweak it with a bit of air, if you have an air compressor handy.

Just a thought on the disk method ..... I noticed Karangi used a bottle jack so I wonder if trolley jack would be easier. When I get to my dome I was thinking of using it with the plywood disk, could remove it over multiple courses and trim disk down as you go as well.
    I followed Doug's lead too, on the plywood disc.
    You really don't have to trim it down. It should fit right back to the course you started on if you center it correctly. Just add a smaller disc on top of it for each new course. On my build, 3/16" plywood discs on top of the 3/4" platform disc worked great for the tilt. 1/4" would probably work. A trolley jack will work fine. That is what I used. I only dropped the form once to trim the disc. Trimming it actually cost me more time. I did the last 3 rows and the plug at the same time. I can see now that the trolley jack would have worked better setting the plug if I had of drilled a hole through the form for the mortar to escape. Other than that, I think either type jack would be fine.
    My disc.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Just a thought on the disk method ..... I noticed Karangi used a bottle jack so I wonder if trolley jack would be easier. When I get to my dome I was thinking of using it with the plywood disk, could remove it over multiple courses and trim disk down as you go as well.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

No fair! You cheated yourself from the stick falling, backbreaking, mortar mess, brick falling, sweating, brick slipping beauty of using sticks! Great job.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hey Fish,

Looks good, know what you mean about sticks and IT I am at the same stage ready to make the transition. Not sure the better half will let me use her excercise ball. Maybe I can sneak a use when she is shopping then play dumb? Second thought, not a good idea I my end. Anyway almost there.............

Leave a comment:

• flyfisherx
    replied

Thanks Danno....I have to clean it up a bit before I post the next set of pics. Soon to come.....

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

Love it!!!
    I had me one of those in reserve, but my impatience got the better of me earlier so i wouldn't work. I made a full plywood "George" form-an for the last four chains i think it was!

Good work, and i'm looking forward to seeing the inside! This is my parrallel universe build.

Leave a comment:

• flyfisherx
    replied

Well.....this is what happens when the patience of using the indispensable tool and pieces of wood to support brick wears out...........I am closed....pics to follow once I clean up the excess mortar that I could not clean due to my impatience tool (The golds gym exercise ball)

Leave a comment:

• flyfisherx
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Well done and looks really good! Nice transition and bond. You can grind those wedges off if needed. I would say break, but be careful with the hammers.
    Tracy
    Thanks Tracy. I did grind off some wedges before and plan to do so when I get the grinder out again. I plan on a total enclosure so it really does not matter what the outside of my dome looks like. I have been using the outside to get rid of the mortar thats left in my bucket once I get tired of laying bricks so as not to waste it. It may also add some more mass under the blanket insulation.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Well done and looks really good! Nice transition and bond. You can grind those wedges off if needed. I would say break, but be careful with the hammers.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• redmen4
    replied

I know I am late to this question about building on the floor or around the floor. I chose to build around the floor. This was if a floor brick needed to be replaced, especially around the edge, it could easily be done.

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

Nice work! Only just caught up with this thread, yours is the Firebrick version of mine!
    I had reservations about the entrance arch, but just went with it on the Form before function basis! I went for 11" Radius. The volume of the opening was just slightly less than the 19x12 that the FB plans specified.

Onwards and upwards!

Leave a comment:

• flyfisherx
    replied

8th course done and above the arch now!!! The eighth went in great in about 2 hours. I'm on vacation for a week so when I get back, I am planning on being fresh and hopefully finishing out the dome in a week using weekdays and the weekend. Going smooth now. I did not pay too much attention to the bond joints and let me tell you, that was a relief. I had one or 2 joints line up. For the stress of not dealing with it, I can happily accept the result. I caught myself saying....Its close enough a lot.....and on to the next brick. Foggy picture due to the high humidity and my camera was inside with the AC.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	overarch2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	290254 Click image for larger version

Name:	overarch1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	290253

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Videts88,

I second Neil2, it is a matter of choice, I have seen both ways. One deciding factor may be how you enclose your oven. If you chose to do an igloo style without an enclosure, then you may need to cut the floor bricks to maintain the round shape with dome on or off floor bricks. If I was enclosing my oven I would have placed dome on floor but I am not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X