Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WesinThailand
    replied
    A very nice build! Sure enjoyed seeing all your progress. On mine, I just kept on cooking after stucco . maybe one of these days I'll add some fancy enclosure - the important thing is the food!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Darin,

Are you doing the Wok cooking in/on the entry landing? I've been using a skillet and a dutch oven there. I may have to buy a wok .

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Novalso,

I love the way you oven turned out. It is amazing how many different ways there are to enclose the oven . All it takes is a little imagination and hard work. I see you said you had 4 to 5 days of heat retention. What kind of temps are you seeing at that point, and are you cooking on all those days too? I need to get better at using my retained heat. I have been doing some bread but that is about it so far, but I need to as it will take 10 days to cool down now that I have my door.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    Originally posted by ivancito View Post
    Wow!!!!Your wfo looks amazing, great job Novaslo. I like how you made the front hearth radius into/forward towards the entry. Wish I had seen your build earlier, I would have done mine this way.
    Yes I was thinking that when I saw so many others that built it the other way. I knew that I would need to get as close as possible to get back into the very back. It turned out great.

As it stands I can't wait to get out there and cook. It has been a year and a half since I started cooking and I have not stopped.
    Lately I have been Wok cooking. That is pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• ivancito
    replied
    Wow!!!!Your wfo looks amazing, great job Novaslo. I like how you made the front hearth radius into/forward towards the entry. Wish I had seen your build earlier, I would have done mine this way.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    Nearing completion,
    After a long weekend on the wet saw, I am so happy with the results. After deciding to enclose the dome, the porch lights really set it off. Here are a few pictures of the final look. Day 3 of cooking and now all I want to do is come out in the evening and play in my back yard. Haha

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    I cut a lot of pavers for my design, check it out!
    Oh and I cooked a pizza or two. Haha.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    New Progress....Closing the dome.
    After a lot of thought and planning, I decided to fully close the dome and not continue with the igloo plan. Using Hardibacker and aluminum 2X4's structure is made.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.

In my case with 4 inches of fiber board in my door....it is extremely hot on the oven side and warm to the touch on the outerside where the handles are. It get's hot but bad at all.

I would say that with heat retention of 4-5 days, It is really effective.

Having worked with a heavy door and now using this much lighter version. The lighter the better.

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied

Hi
    Had a long talk with a friend of mine about the aluminum, He told me that it is a very good conductor but that it will want to get rid of the heat just as much thru the back the sides that is why it is used so readily in electronics as heat sinks. I am thinking of going back to my brick idea but using 3/4" slices rather than splitting bricks to save some weight. will see how this works. Heading off to Thailand for a few weeks with the family so have to get into this when I get back.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I understand what you are thinking Bill. I just wanted something to use as a plug that sealed the entrance and kept the heat in. I have no experience of thick aluminium plate.

I hope it works for you.

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied

Hi Greenman
    I didn't want to use the aluminum for insulation but as a heatsink just at the inner face of the door. my thought if 1/2" to 3/4" thick it would hold heat and radiate back into the oven for a more circular, for lack of a better word heating, In the case of baking bread or closed oven cooking, it would still be backed up with three to four inches of insulation, just used as something to hold heat in the door area.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

The aluminium will not help with insulation given its conductive properties. I used thin aluminium sheet as the skin and stuffed it with scraps of ceramic blanket. It has worked for me and I have made a couple for other ovens. It has the advantage of being light and it does a good job of holding the heat in.

I have recently fabricated a small folding machine that can handle light steel and aluminium sheet and intend to have a crack at MK IV soon. Each iteration gets a little better than the last. With the material being offcuts sourced from metal shops bought on weight it is cheap as chips and the material costs for each is about $15.00.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

That would be interesting...to try.
    I am not sure how much heat it can withstand. I don't think the door would ever be over 8-900 degrees

Not sure on that though.

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied

Hi
    I agree with the weight issue, did a quick search for heat sinks and aluminum is use in many electrical applications, what about a thick piece instead of the brick.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X