X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novaslo
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.

Ok the Roof is on....I went with an Ondura asphalt roofing panel. They are very durable and long lasting. Easy to work with. The whole thing turned out very much like I planned in the beginning. It feels good to have it covered. Now I just need to tile or stucco the dome and seal the bottom edges where rain will hit coming from the side or wind.

Does anyone have any advice on sealing the bottom where the concrete hearth meets the insulation or bottom of the dome?

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I like your timber work. Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Hey Everyone,
    Ok my latest effort is all about Pergula....I used a Transit to sink some brackets in cement to hold four 6x6 posts, I then planned out my pergola which will ultimately have a full roof over the top.

As you can see, I made some good progress. I still need to put 1x1's on top and will likely do a tin corogated roof. Also need to finish the dome but right now I am focused on making this thing rain proof.

That is in the event that we actually GET SOME.

Next I cooked a couple of pizza's and threw down some bad @$$ Pork Chops tonight! Wow were they good.

Everything I cook in this oven is literally twice as good as everything else I do. I made four loaves of bread today as well.

It's like the finest pan you have....you wonder why everything you cook is so good. Same with the Pompeii. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

The pork turned out EPIC.....
    We had everyone go in and make a burrito and then we put them on the hearth in the oven to brown....holy smoking good Burrito!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

nice lookin spread..........

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

As an update, I have been cooking like crazy.....I haven't touched my BBQ since my first food fire. You will see some pics here of some pizza and some fish. I have slow cooked meat and baked bread as well as prepared some deserts. Today I am having a party at my house and we are making Cuban Beans with Mojo Pulled Pork. We will be making burritos with a cuban flair.

I married into a cuban family and I plan to slay the meat and serve some great food. My wives sisters 40th birthday and all will be thrilled.

15 pound of meat and will post some pics of the three pots that are sitting in my oven right now.

Nice pic of the wood that I got - Nice heavy red oak. Burns slow and hot...

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Time to start the roof.....I will post some pics soon. As soon as I can stop cooking!!!

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
    Hey Gang,
    Ok I was able to get my door done. My brother in law is a bit of a wiz with scrap and a welder. Well he is a wiz at just about anything. Take a look at the results. Chimney is installed and the door is being used.

The only thing I have left is make the dome pretty and get my roof done.

I am getting distracted with cooking. But I expected that.
    It all looks great, including the pizza!

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Looking good, Darin. I can understand why you get distracted. Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Hey Gang,
    Ok I was able to get my door done. My brother in law is a bit of a wiz with scrap and a welder. Well he is a wiz at just about anything. Take a look at the results. Chimney is installed and the door is being used.

The only thing I have left is make the dome pretty and get my roof done.

I am getting distracted with cooking. But I expected that.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

That looks great for the first attempt. Mine decided to be a calzone that choose to die in the coals Good job!

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    Your got some good advice there in those last two posts. Cement based on cement based and it will stick. Thin coats and build up those spots and you'll get it round.
    Great to hear you to the pizza stage, but sometimes the final finish might take you a bit more but you have to look at it for a lot longer.
    Regards dave
    Sounds good.
    Working the dome with cement and a trowel in the Ca. Heat is really awful haha.
    I like the idea of a plastic trowel, I think that will really help.

Here is the result of my maiden voyage tonight with my new toy. The pizza was truly Excellent!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Your got some good advice there in those last two posts. Cement based on cement based and it will stick. Thin coats and build up those spots and you'll get it round.
    Great to hear you to the pizza stage, but sometimes the final finish might take you a bit more but you have to look at it for a lot longer.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

And you would need a plastic or wood float to lay it on don't use metal it will bring water to the surface and make it hard to shape

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Hi navaslo hope you enjoy that first pizza I am also covering my oven in brick not in tile but same thing a guy in my town with a rendering company ( also backed up by my merchant jewsons) said the best thing to use at that point would be a Portland lime sharp and soft sand mix similar to the homebrew can be applied at any thickness within reason

Leave a comment:

Working...
X