• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novaslo
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in Paso Robles Ca.

Hey Everyone,
    Well here is the latest update. After just about 3 months, I am ready to finally cook in my oven. I have Dough in my fridge fermenting as we speak for tonights maiden voyage. I spent the last 10 days curing my oven. It is ready. I brought the temp up last night and experienced it going white...that was cool.

My struggle was getting the perlite on - that was a challenge. I used a 5-1 mix and really had a hard time getting it to stick. What a mess. However it is done.

Now I need to cover it and that is where I need some advice. Ultimately, I plan to tile it as a finish coat. My problem now is that the Perlite is not round any longer. I have some peaks and valleys that I need to even out.

What would be the next best product to put over it? I would say that thickness could get to about an 1/2 to 1 inch thick to round it out at last.

Some sort of Plaster? I don't think Stucco is a good idea if it might be that thick?
    Chimney will be here on Monday and then I have to plan a roof.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    You would be better to go a bit lighter on the mix. 5 to 1 is strong enough for hearth insulation but you can use 8 to one up to 10 to one. You get the advantage of better insulation value but its harder to work with.
    I've helped with one dome and built up with a couple of layers handful by handful tapping the surface with the flat of a trowel to shape it. It was never rendered just painted with a flat paint gave it a soft textured surface.
    If you are going to "brick veneer" the dome it might be better to just render it gives you more room to fit a wider brick.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

I did some checking and it looks like it is Perlite (White) and Portland cement in a 5-1 ratio.

Is that a preferred method if I am going to put tile or brick veneer on the dome itself?

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

I am going to build a roof over it....however, I am considering doing a tile veneer or a brick/paver look. They would be thin though.

What I need to know now is what actual cemen/perlite/mortar product do I buy to put over the chicken wire in prep for the ultimate coating?

I may stucco it for weather until I do the veneer over the dome. (Still deciding on this)

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Darin,

If I remember right, you were doing an igloo under a open roof. So you probably want to maintain the igloo shape. I used 3" of ceramic blanket fastened to the dome with tapcons and wire, then chicken wire, 3" of 5 to 1 pcrete (to fill the voids and smooth the blanket shape) then stucco coats. Used a curved trowel to shape. You might be able to skip the pcrete and go to a stucco coat if the shape of your dome is okay for you after you install the blanket and wire.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Ok guys,
    Its time to cover the dome with the fiber blanket.
    What product do I need to buy to put on top of the chicken wire?

I understand some people use Perlite Mortar?
    I have Lowes and Home Depot that carry a variety of stuff. What brand or product do I need?

Thanks in advance.
    Curing has begun....

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

4 hours or so. But I wouldn't load it...ie: build on it...for at least 8.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

More progress,
    Here is my update, the second arch is complete. I am soon to install my anchor plate as soon as Amazon send the drone to my house...

Until then, here are the latest shots.
    Things are looking good. i will be curing soon.

How long should I let the arch dry before I take the forms out?
    I used a Home brew mortar as I ran out of the forgo bravo expensive stuff. I made a Quickrete N mix with fire clay (From the saw) in a 5-1 ratio.

All good....

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Darin, I would run with an 8 inch double wall. If you end up going through wood sheathing for your roof you will have no worries.
    Thanks Les.
    That is what I will do.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Darin, I would run with an 8 inch double wall. If you end up going through wood sheathing for your roof you will have no worries.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Hey guys,
    About to work on my arch entry and chimney section. I have a 42in dome with a 13"x20" oven entry arch.

What size duravent should I install and what are your thoughts on which one to get? Double wall or single wall etc. Buy the one on Forno's site? They were out and suggested I buy one locally.

The design is an igloo and ultimately will have a roof over it. Probably wooden structure, although I am considering other options like Tin or Trex.

Thanks for your input.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    Nice job, Darin. Congrats on the pluggin'. Can you smell the pizza?
    And Tri-tip and Sourdough and slow cooked pork. I can smell Peach pie and roasted marshmallows, Naan and beer can chicken, not to mention Turkey. lol

I am ready.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Nice job, Darin. Congrats on the pluggin'. Can you smell the pizza?

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Originally posted by leetheldc View Post
    this looks great must be a good feeling completing the dome knowing all (well most) the hard work is done congrats
    I am thinking that very thing.
    Building the dome was a good test of stick2it let me tell ya.

Trying to get it done for a small party on July 5th.

Likely I will get close enough to cook. 😎

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

this looks great must be a good feeling completing the dome knowing all (well most) the hard work is done congrats

Leave a comment:

Working...
X