Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hearth of the matter

Hi all,

First post on the forum, looking for a few thoughts on my build please. Currently constructing a Pompeii oven in the UK. 6 inch foundation slab was poured over pea gravel and membrane, with a steel mesh buried inside. Left that for about a month and then constructed walls in hallow block. Yesterday I poured every other core, inserting rebar as I went.

It is not a big oven but as you can see, I opted for a central supporting tower, with two hardibacker boards resting on it and the surrounding clockwork. Rebar mesh inserted again and the concrete poured.

This morning, I noticed a hairline crack across the centre of the slab where the hardibacker met. (cut piece meets clean edge although both butted up cleanly).

There is shrinkage round the entire slab so I suspect it is just that in the centre. Common sense also tells me that I have well supported hardibacker and a central support pillar so its going nowhere. Am I right to be unconcerned though? Also, should I be trying to fill the crack asap to keep water out?

Thoughts from you guys greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboard...ordshire-build
Working...
X