Hearth construction overview diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth construction overview diagram

In response to some questions raised about the sizing of the hearth slab, I've put together this drawing.

Remember, there's nothing sacred about any of the dimensions after you've completed the oven dome. All the "extra" room is used for the housing and to make constructing the base walls easier by not requiring cut blocks (I went mortarless so if you use the traditional 1/2" mortar joint you'll need to extend the hearth or cut some blocks). The hearth is also oversized because I gave myself the option to add thermal mass if needed and to allow for a cultured stone facing I was planning originally. Once I found the Ondura tiles I switched gears to an "Italianish" looking oven instead. You can easily remove one 1/2 block (8") from the length and potentially the same from the width to minimize the slab size.

Also, this is for a dog house design for the oven housing. An igloo design only requires about 3" more than the dome size for the vermiculite concrete cladding. That would substantially reduce the size of the hearth.

Jim
    P.S. Actually the file is not attached. It's too big (100K vs. 39K allowed). You can find it at groups.yahoo.com/group/fornobravo/files/
Working...
X