Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cnegrelli
    replied
    Do most people finish the inside storage area of their ovens? I plan to use mine for wood storage. I did some searches and failed to find much. I plan to have a stone veneer external walls of the stand.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    I'll pm you

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    It occurs to me that my dilemma in stucco up to the chimney is really no different than the dome builds, with stucco finishes. It would seem that I could use some material with tape to cover my SS chimney, and create a small gap and thus stucco up to that? It's a double-walled insulated Duratech from the FB store, and doesn't really get hot on the outside. I know I studied DavidS's vent/Storm Collar hybrid solution, but I don't really know how he cozies the stucco around the chimney pipe.
    Last edited by cnegrelli; 07-07-2017, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Like I mention you probably need to go to a dealer that specializes in stucco materials.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    I was looking for that exact product, but don't see a way to buy it. I looked at Home Depot and they have something similar for drywall (vinyl). It can't get close to the radius I would need, but by cutting more slots, perhaps? I have not seen actual stucco bead up close but they seem very similar? I will study some more, but any discussion is helpful.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I have seen arched bead for stucco but you probably won't find a a big box store but more of a stucco distributor. For a small arch you may be able to slot and bend a standard stucco bead like shown in the attached factory arch bead.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    Anyone know how to procure or form an arched corner bead for stucco work around the chimney opening, where my chimney opening is thru a stucco (or tiled) surface?
    Last edited by cnegrelli; 07-06-2017, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jonv
    replied
    Don't know about the stucco but can answer your last question - with 6" of blanket I think it should only just be warm to the touch. I doubt if you'd feel anything much on the outside of your enclosure - my igloo gets much hotter from the sun than the fire and I've only got 4" of blanket (128kg/m3) - doesn't get hot even with the dome inside over 600C.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    I posted this on an older thread having to do with Stucco, but will ask here as well:

What is the preferred underlayment for Stucco? Cement board? Hardiebacker?

I've read with some confusion the right way to Stucco over hardiebacker or Durock.

tape and mud all joints, roof felt all surfaces, lathe and three coat stucco method?
    Can I use some Red Guard on the top surface, which is flat? (I will have a vent). Will the heat be too much, despite the 6" of blanket and filling the enclosure up with Perlite or Vermiculite?
    Last edited by cnegrelli; 07-05-2017, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    Enclosure is only lacking some support for cement board around chimney, which I will weld today. Then the enclosure needs to be put in it's final resting spot on the stand, and fastened down well.
    Last edited by cnegrelli; 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    Thanks gents!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Also, pull some of the coals toward the door and build a berm or levie across the door opening during the later stages of the firing. That will raise the drawing air up a little above the floor level (which is where the dampness is coming from, helping to dry the floor) If the oven is dry, and it reaches a saturation temp, all of the black will clear.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    From what you describe it sounds like you can build the fires bigger and try pushing coals towards the outside to get those areas hotter.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    That black ring is what I posted about before in my previous post https://community.fornobravo.com/for...204#post399204

The soot burns off at around 300 C, so that black ring indicates that the refractory there is below that temperature. This is quite common on new ovens. If you have an IR thermometer it should confirm this. Don't push the fire too fast until it has all burnt off.
    Question, the black ring that starts 4" up the wall indicates the temperature is below the 300C below that mark, correct? It's all black above.

So I'm no where near 300C, I'm more like 300F with the top of the dome perhaps around 400-450F and the bottom much cooler. Several days where I had long fires going where the floor is in the low 200s, the walls about 12" up around 300 and the dome 400. I've had spikes above that, but only for short periods.

I believe I picked up moisture in the CaSi from keeping the dome wet for that first week. I put a lot of water on it. There's been no rain and 3 weeks of drying out. 5 days of fires, 8-10 hours at a time (today only 4-5). Should I be proceeding towards 300C or slow and steady as is?

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    I'm seeing lower temps below that ring... With IR thermometer. I'm only at 300F. Am I confused, perhaps I will have to recheck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X