X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mickyD
    replied
    Re: Insulated door design...

Hey Russell, very cool door. I only wish you posted this about 1 month ago. Mine is very similar to yours but my face is made out of hardwood floor boards. I used PVA glue on my insulation rope. Whish I had of thought of the fire rated silicon. Still holding together after a few firings though.

Mick

Leave a comment:

• OzOvenBuilder
    replied

Originally posted by david lyons View Post
    Very nice work!

That probe looks vulnerable to me though, I have a bad case of the clumbsies sometimes though.

Regards

Dave Ly
    Hi Dave,

Yes I agree, I tried to think of another method but no luck. I'll just have to be careful. I have a table about 1m2 directly to the side of my oven which I use to place hot trays/pots etc. It's made from old railway sleepers and has gaps large enough to poke the probe into & sit the door flat if need be.
    I think as long as I don't drop it I should be ok!

Cheers,

Russell.

Leave a comment:

• david lyons
    replied

Very nice work!

That probe looks vulnerable to me though, I have a bad case of the clumbsies sometimes though.

Regards

Dave Ly

Leave a comment:

• OzOvenBuilder
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    Very nice

How did you stick the glass rope?
    G'day Lburou,

I just used a fire rated silicone, the same that's used on my old double oven homestead cooker we have in our kitchen. This stuff is rated for flame fires so I'm sure it should take the radiant heat after the coals have been removed.

Don't use too much either, as I've found with the kitchen oven after a couple of uses the rope will squash itself into place where it sits. Just a nice bead to hold it is all you need.

You should be able to find it at any good hardware.

Cheers,

Russell.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Very nice

How did you stick the glass rope?

Leave a comment:

• buckeyebreadman
    replied

VERY nice job!.....quite similar to what I had envisioned for my door....although, I'll have someone else do the welding....

Leave a comment:

• m1mckinlay
    replied

Very cool, nicely done. I've been trying to figure out how to insulate my door and yours gave me some great ideas. I guess I need to learn how to weld...!

Leave a comment:

• OzOvenBuilder
    started a topic Insulated door design...

Insulated door design...

Hi all, just thought I'd share some pics of the door I've finally got around to making!
    I've been picking up some tips on here from those of you who have already created, and have come up with what I hope will be very effective, (will update this thread once tested).

The front face is 6mm steel plate (maybe overkill) while the inside face and 50mm sides are 3mm plate.

The insulation is 2 pieces of 25mm thick calcium silicate board sandwiched together with a little fire silicone just to hold it there while constructing.

What I've tried to do is minimise the heat transfer to the front. You can see there is a small gap around 5mm between the sides of the insulation which I'm hoping will stop most of the heat from reaching the front face. The only transfer should be a little via the glass rope, plus some through the stainless steel bolts & thermometer which run from front to back.
    To finish off I've used fire rated silicone to stick some glass oven rope around the edge where the silicate board is. This is for 2 reasons, to block heat escaping the edges by creating a seal of sorts, plus to cover the silicate board entirely so there's no chance of any of this dust reaching the inside of the oven.

Check out the pics, let me know what you think if I've messed up anywhere (apart from my welding skills), & I'll let you know how it performs.

Cheers!

Russell.
Working...
X