Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door inner insulation, 1900F?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kebwi
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    Geez, that's a work of art.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    I made mine out of aluminum - it was around .050 thick. Works great.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • kebwi
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    I'll have to look into that. The trickiest part might be obtaining or manufacturing a thin metal "box" to represent the door cavity. Sheet aluminum is the easiest since you can buy it anywhere (Home Depot) and it's so thin you can cut, bend, and shape it with novice tools...but I'm not sure such a material is tough enough for a door. Maybe a few layers of it...I dunno.

    Thanks for the tip. A perlite door sounds awesome.

    [Followup: I guess I've seen mention of doors with vermcrete/perlcrete mounted directly to a backing surface. That's tantalizing, but how to attach it to the backing...hmmm...]

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    Originally posted by kebwi View Post
    Are you referring to all insulating boards, or only certain ones, such as Insblock? I need to do some more general research on how folks have built insulated doors, but I thought some had mounted insulating board to accomplish the task.

    Thanks.
    I think all the insulating board is nasty stuff - once you cut it, you will see what I mean. I went the route that Jamie referred to (loose filled vermiculite).

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • cynon767
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    some folks have encapsulated insulation behind a metal sheath. In some cases it was leftover insulating board, in others it was loose-filled vermiculite or perlite in a hollow door.

    Leave a comment:


  • kebwi
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    Are you referring to all insulating boards, or only certain ones, such as Insblock? I need to do some more general research on how folks have built insulated doors, but I thought some had mounted insulating board to accomplish the task.

    Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    Originally posted by kebwi View Post
    This insulation will be directly exposed to the interior of the oven though?
    You don't want that product near your food, it needs to be sealed. 1900 deg would be adequate.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • kebwi
    started a topic Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    Door inner insulation, 1900F?

    One common door design seems to consist of mounting the same insulating board used for the hearth to a plank of some sort. This insulation will be directly exposed to the interior of the oven though, so I was wondering if it faces stricter requirements than the hearth and dome insulation? I am leaning toward using Insblock 19 (a 1900F insulation) for my hearth because it is so cheap. I was thinking of using the same material for a door, 1" to 2" thick mounted on a 2x12 or something to that effect.

    Would that work or do I need one of the higher temperature boards (2300F seems like a popular threshold) for such an application?
Working...
X