Question about Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Recipe

I download the recipe at the Forno Bravo website for the basic vera pizza napoletana dough recipe and had a question about the amount of salt the recipe calls for. I used the Molino Caputo Tipo "00" flour for this dough.

The recipe calls for:

4 cups "00" flour
    1 1/2 cups, plus 2-3 Tbs water
    4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry active yeast.

The dough came out great and the pizza was amazing but does anyone else think that 4 teaspoons of salt was way too much. I thought the dough was very salty and then if you add sausage or any ingredients that are high in sodium you end up with a really salty pizza.

Is the amount of salt something that is purely personal taste. I was thinking of making the dough again with maybe 1 or 1.5 teaspoons of salt. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I can't imagine it will affect the consistency of the dough, just the taste.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Besides being a little salty I cooked my pizza on a 550 degree pizza oven for 9 minutes it was cooked perfectly.

Thanks,

Re: Question about Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Recipe

The normal logic is that salt should be about 2 percent of the flour weight. Four cups of flour is about 480 grams so you need about 9.6 or so grams of salt - about 2 tsp of regular table salt. The recipe amount is about 18 grams and is too high for table salt but would be only a little high if Kosher salt. (Morton's Kosher Salt is about 65% as dense as regular table salt so 4 tsp weigh about 12 grams. Diamond Crystal Kosher salt is about half way between).
    Last edited by texassourdough; 08-10-2010, 05:49 AM. Reason: add density comment.

Comment

The recipe amount is about 18 grams and is too high for table salt but would be only a little high if Kosher salt.
      This sounds like the old riddle about whether it's better to get paid a bucket of quarters or a bucket of dimes. In any event, I think the quoted recipe is too salty by far, try cutting the amount in half.

And if you give in to weighed baking ingredients, then a given weight of salt is the same regardless of grain size.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The weight may be the same but the surface area, and hence it's ability to absorb and dissolve varies greatly. As an example that I am familiar with, the surface area of some mortar dyes is amazingly high, and can seriously affect the amount of water needed to hydrate the mix for a workable mortar.

Edit-I want a bucket of mixed dimes, quarters, and fifty-cent pieces, as that will provide the most efficient utilization of a given volume. This concept is the basis for quality concrete.

Comment

I made this pizza recipe dough again last night and reduced the salt from 4tsp down to 2 tsp and was much happier with the final result. It seemed like 2 tsp was just the right balance for me and then when my sausage & pepperoni we're added it was just perfect.

Thx.

Comment

Working...
          X