Home Made Mozzarella for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Mozzarella for sale?

Do we have any cheese makers on here that would be interested in selling a few pounds of homemade mozzarella cheese? I attempted making some and it was a disaster. But I can't find quality Mozz locally other than the cheap fake stuff that burns in our high temp ovens.

anyone????

Re: Home Made Mozzarella for sale?

We make our own Mozzarella all the time. If I thought I could ship it i would send it to you no charge...what went so wrong? We teach classes and I find the number one reason people fail at making mozz is they use an aluminum pan! Go to our blog and check out the step by step instructions with photos. I hope that helps!

The Red Dragon Cafe: Homemade Mozzarella Cheese

And if you are ever in the RI area stop by for a lesson!!!
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think my biggest struggle was regulating the temperature, burned the milk first time, second attempt It never curded, I don't think I had the right type of rennet maybe?
      I'll check out your site, maybe I'll get inspired to try again...

Comment

Hi Joey!

You can also order cheese curd to make your mozz with. I have used Polly-O for years. A good product. Probably a bit hard to locate in North Lousiana but can be shipped in 21 pound bags. I used to order it and cut it into 2 pound chunks and freeze it. (That makes it more economical rather than shipping a small amount.)

Good news is I have found a local source so now I can get it in smaller quanitities.

Comment

joey...check out this video Rikki Carrol the cheese queen making mozzarella, we buy our supplies off the internet from this lady!

Ricki Carroll's 30 Minute Mozzarella on Vimeo

Malinda
          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Joey,

The trick is to be patient and willing to spoil a batch or two. I used Rikkis recipe and failed miserably -> My nuker is not a 1000 watt unit by any stretch (oh, a pun, not intended.)

If you are interested - go to this site:

CheeseForum.org

This is the holy grail for new and experienced cheese makers - Kind of like this is the place for brick ovens and Za!

My kids like the argentinian cheese - only aged 2 weeks but flavorful and melts wonderful! I use the home made culture route of butter milk or yoghurt.

Best o luck

Chris
            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

am I using the right stuff?
              the citric acid is the same stuff they put on sour candy.

Comment

I just got something in the mail I ordered from the Wisconsin Cheese Board (free). They have a lot of small cheesemakers there. I'd list some, but I haven't tried anything yet.

Good luck!
                My oven (for now):
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

That's the right stuff Joey
                  Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

ok, another failure.
                    let's dissect my latest one...

the milk:

and this is when I was supposed to be seeing whey and scooping out the curds. All I saw was cottage cheese. whey never appeared.

I used Chef's recipe,
                    these are the ingredients:
                    1 gallon of milk
                    1 tablet of rennet
                    1/2 teaspoon of lipase
                    3 tspns of citric acid.

I reached the 90f temp and added the rennet and went on up to 105...nothing but cottage cheese...another gallon of milk down the drain literally.

Comment

This is a pretty good video YouTube - How to turn milk into mozzarella cheese
                      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Tried it again this morning and finally got it to curd and separate from the whey. Had to make it hotter than 105f though, had to go to about 128f before the whey would show up.
                        Here is what it looked like before I took the curd out.

I took the curd out and went through the microwave process but at the end i turned out to be like cream cheese, really pasty. It is firm but more like cream cheese than mozz. Maybe I messed with it too much.

anyways, I think I will try it again next week.

Comment

I use whole milk when I make mozzarella. I haven't tried doing it with 2%. Maybe there's not enough milkfat to make good mozzarella?

Give it a try and see. I use the Ricki's recipe too, although I usually don't nuke it. I put it back in the hot water if I need to make it more pliable (asbestos hands, you know). It's easy to overwork, but usually if I overwork it it gets rubbery. Still good, just not nice and soft fresh mozz.
                          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I tried it again using whole milk and still no dice. I can't get the curds to ever become one big ball. I ended up pressing it into a ball inside cheesecloth and it turned out to be nice crumbly cheese for salads and such.

Comment

Well, the curd you buy to make mozzarella is sort of pressed and crumbly- maybe you just aren't getting it hot enough after? Either in the microwave or in the hot water bath?

I'll have to make a batch up (been a while) and see if I can get it to fail.

I've also heard where people use curd bits on top of pizza instead of bothering to make up the real cheese balls, so maybe you could do that! Apparently it melts in the oven heat and you'd never know.
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                              X