San Marzano variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marzano variety

What varieties of San Marzano tomatos are others using? I'm about to order seeds to start my seedlings, and I can get the "Standard" San Marzano; the "Super" San Marzano (a bit larger than the standard); the San Marzano Lungo 1 Hybrid; and the San Marzano Redorta Heirloom. I'm leaning toward the Heirloom.

Re: San Marzano variety

Where are you ordering your seeds from. Nice thing about AZ is we get to start our tomatoes a lot earlier
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I got a link off another forum to Tomatofest.com for the Heirloom seeds.

Comment

Hello azatty,

Hybrid veggies often have disease resistance and greater vigor than standard or heirloom varieties. Do consider buying more than one variety of SM tomato for your garden.

San Marzano tomatoes can do extremely well in our desert region but there are reasons to try different varieties that might be successful in your particular garden (mini-environment). I prefer early maturing, medium size varieties. There is nothing so sad as to see big tomatoes cooking on the vine come summer.

Best of luck to you,
        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

All American seeds will grow almost anywhere

FWIW....A seed with the distinction of being "All American" will grow vigoursly just about anywhere with a minimum of diseases.

I'm watching the radar tonight and a string of rain and snow will be here within the hour. You guys have it good, except for those going postal today

Good Luck with your tomatoes.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

San Marzano, Type 1, or 'Standard'. FWIW, I left the plant in its pot over the winter here in southern california and it has grown approximately 20' of indeterminate vines along the ground.

Comment

Working...
            X