Mozzarella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozzarella

Has anyone tried the Mozzarella Company in Dallas? www.mozzco.com.

They make high-end domestic Mozzarella. Check it out and see what you
    think. Can anyone buy it and give us a report?

James

i had an italian*cheese once that i could never find again. it was a ball of firm mozzarella on the outside with mozzarella curd on the inside. it was outstanding as a salad just on a slice of tomato with basil leaves, oil and balsamic. james, do you know what the name of this one would be or where i could obtain it?
    Robert

Comment

I have to look that one up in my Italian cheese bible (Christmas present). Are you sure it wasn't imported fresh mozzarella? It has a real skin around the ball, and a soft texture inside. Sounds like a real caprese salad. What do you think?

This is just an aside, but we know an American family here (where I got my sourdough starter) who stayed at a B&B at a Buffalo farm near Naples, where they make real mozzarella. We're going in the spring. They said the cheese was remarkable.

James

Comment

it was definitly imported. at about $10*per ball. i just had the sinking feeling that perhaps in my whole life i've only had "real" mozzarella once.
        Robert

Comment

Now you get to try the Mozzarella Company in Dallas! Tell us how it compares.
          James

Comment

one other thing about the cheese. the inside was almost like a cottage cheese in texture (but held together better than cottage cheese).
            Robert

Comment

That sounds about right. It gets a little stringy when you melt it, but not when its fresh. There are two types: cow and buffalo milk. The buffalo mozzarella is expensive - even here. It's tangy, and not everyone likes it. You can get it either in a tub at the cheese shop, or in water sealed in little plastic envelopes. I have heard that the rule for real mozzarella from around Naples is that you have to eat within 24 hours of it being made (they throw it all out every evening and start again).

VPN calls for cow mozzarella on a Margherita and buffalo mozzarella on a Margherita Extra. Don't ever think the Italians don't know how to market food products. :-)
              James

Comment

Ouch. Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to Costco we go.

Does anyone know of good Mozz in their neighborhood. I will put links and names on the site when I get them.

James

He-he shipping from Texas to outh caroline on 1 lb of cheese would be $28 Twice the price of the product. I like good Mozz, but that is ridiculous!

Keith

Comment

I just came back from Naples and tried different mozza everyday
                  (buffala doc, fiordilate, fresh, on pizza, etc.). To be honest,
                  there wasn't a great deal of difference between a doc and a
                  fiordilate once they are baked on the pizza.
                  Fresh buffala is unbeatable however, when eaten on its own, fresh,
                  less than a day old. (I saw Neapolitans eating a 1/2 pound ball with
                  a fork and knife as appetizer).
                  For pizza, what I learned is that they like the mozza about a day
                  old so that it dries out a bit (but not too much), otherwise its
                  liquids will run too much on the pizza, even after you try to dry
                  it. (I tried that once, and a fresh mozza kept spitting liquid for
                  hours). (another trick is to not cut it with a knife for pizza
                  pieces, but rather split it with your fingers instead, along its
                  layers).
                  Being in Toronto, I found a couple of decent fiordilate places-
                  again, the fresher you pick it, the more difference it makes. Even
                  when you buy the ones that come from Italy and that have an
                  expiration date of 3 weeks for e.g., if you don't eat it in the
                  first week max, forget about tasting a difference and consider your
                  money flushed with the mozza liquid.
                  In Toronto:
                  - Grande Cheese makes a fiordilate (24% MF) at about 7-8$ per pound,
                  only 2-3 times per week. call ahead to find out when. Only made and
                  sold at their Factory Outlet location Woodbridge. Grande Cheese Co
                  Ltd. 905-856-6880, 468 Jevlan Drive, Woodbridge, Ontario
                  - Saputo makes a decent fiordilate called Mozzarina Mediterraneo,
                  20% MF. It is sold in the water packages of 250 g for $5 at selected
                  Italian grocery stores and some supermarkets. Better eaten when the
                  expiration date is as far out as possible.
                  http://www.saputo.ca/corpo/client/en...s/parlons.asp?
                  id=124&cat=2

How about in NY guys? Any decent places making mozza in Connecticut
                  or Pennsylvania?

William M

Comment

Working...
                  X