Great Genuine Mozzarella di Bufala made in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Genuine Mozzarella di Bufala made in California

I don't know but guess many of you already know this, but I absolutely love this cheese if you want the real thing closest to Italy and you don't have a source. I had made a trip to Campagnia (source of "the" mozzarela di bufala) and ate my way from Naples to south of Sorrento in Agropoli. I was in the heart of di bufula country. I ate it many times a day. It was fabulous. Had the smoked variety as well.

Well, in Los Angeles (and I would give you a secret source of Italian food products which you would kiss me for) I discovered this cheese, and it is really FABULOUS. So close to the original and so delicious. They ship.

It is expensive and worth it. I have bought imported Italian di bufula and it is not worth the money out here on the West Coast - it doesn't hold this far away from Italy. The California producer Bubalis Bubalis is the best I have discovered. You can order from them here:

Bubalis real Mozzarella/title> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/aix.css"> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

Their website is a bit sluggish, be patient, but if you haven't tried this cheese, order it and make a caprese and you will find out what you have been missing. I am going to make lasagne with the ricotta I just bought.

Just sharing the best in the area.

The name of the local store is actually listed on their website as a dealer: Roma Deli.

They are on Lake north of Colorado. The owner has been there seven days a week for 50 years. What a source for Proscuitto, Parma Hams, Meats, cheeses, Italian specialties and oil and cheese and olives and... so much more. Looks like a hole in the wall. Ask the owner to make you a panino at the meat counter. Rosario. You will think you died and landed in an Italian heaven.

No they don't sell pizza flour - thankfully.

Re: Great Genuine Mozzarella di Bufala made in California

Barbara

If you have a Costco close by you can but their Buffalo di Mozarella for 1/2 the price of web site.

Comment

Barbara,
      You can't make a Caprese until spring. The tomatoes now are too mealy. Even the tomatoes we are getting here from hot houses in Sicily just don't cut it. They look good, but taste and texture isn't there. You can have great olive oil, cheese and basil year round, but you can't get the tomoates. We stopped making Caprese sales about 6 weeks ago, and are waiting for spring.

Can you find salad-grade tomatoes in SoCal this time of year? Are they nice?
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi Richard,

I will look in Costco, and I buy mine from Rosario at Roma Deli in Pasadena. He charges me $4.50 for one of the standard size balls. Rosario looks after me, I buy all of my meat, cheeses, fresh basil, salt packed capers, anchovies, pasta, san marzano tomatoes, oil and balsamico. So much else he has packed in that tiny place - he gets mad if I don't show up once a week.

Rosario gets my business, but next time I am in Costco I will check out the price - especially if I am having a party.

James - you are right about the tomatoes, what I do in the meantime is buy the sweet large cherry tomatoes on the vine which is better than waiting, or I look for heirloom tomatoes which sometimes are pretty good at local farmers markets where you can test them. Ours come up from mexico, many times they aren't too bad. But they are as you suggest mealy otherwise and only fit for pasta sauce.

Comment

As I am in Thousand Oaks will make a trip to deli in the near futire. costco price $6.70 for 2 x 1lb fresh balls

Comment

You can make Caprese now in Oregon

Originally posted by james View Post
            Barbara,
            You can't make a Caprese until spring. The tomatoes now are too mealy. Even the tomatoes we are getting here from hot houses in Sicily just don't cut it. They look good, but taste and texture isn't there. You can have great olive oil, cheese and basil year round, but you can't get the tomoates. We stopped making Caprese sales about 6 weeks ago, and are waiting for spring.

Can you find salad-grade tomatoes in SoCal this time of year? Are they nice?
            James
            (M) Sorry James, but I respectfully beg to differ with you about the availability of great tomatoes at this time of year. I had posted on this forum at this URL,

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/...matos-643.html

my solid support for Greenhouse Tomatoes on the Vine, EuroFresh Farms Campari Tomatoes on the Vine. We can get these tomatoes at Costco in Oregon so it is likely that they would also be available in California. The headquarters for this Campari tomato distributor is Wilcox, Arizona but I believe that the tomatoes are grown in Washington state?

They come in a 2 lb. package of clear plastic. Ask for Item #25595. They are pesticide free, small (about the volume of a small apricot) and have the vines still attached. They are superb!

Chow,

Marcel
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
            but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Richard, that is a great price. Let me know when you decide to head to Roma Deli - I'll give you directions. It is a real hole in the wall, but he gets meat and cheeses which are hard to find.

Marcel thanks for the link. The ones I find at Whole Foods are similar.

Comment

Nice tip Marcello. Thanks. I guess this is better living through technology -- good tomatoes in winter. Still, we loose a little of the poetry of eating by the seasons....
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                X