Mozz.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozz.................

a newbie to the site, but, have had an oven in the backyard for 5 years. I have an italian store in my area and a Restaurant Depot...............i always buy a log of whole milk mozz and slice it up for my pizza.

i have used Supremo Italiano, sorrento, and polly-o. all pretty good. I bought the other day from the market a brand called ENRICCIO which i thought was excellent.

My question is....where can i buy this brand in 5 pound loafs for cheap instead of buying by the pound? my restaurant depot said they could not get it.

Are there any other whole milk mozz's that you recommend? what is best in your opinions?

THANKS

Re: Mozz.................

Originally posted by gleasonjames View Post

Are there any other whole milk mozz's that you recommend? what is best in your opinions?

THANKS
    I make my own from whole milk and could not be happier with the results.

I make large batches of curd and freeze them in 8 oz packs and take out and turn into cheese when needed.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

hi i like you idea of making bathes of curd and freezing it where did you learn your method?can you explain it?

Comment

Originally posted by thezaman View Post
        hi i like you idea of making bathes of curd and freezing it where did you learn your method?can you explain it?
        Mozzarella Cheese Recipe

Here is the link to the basic recipe, I follow the steps indicated all the way up to prior to heating and salting the curd.

Someone at the International Pizza Expo in Las Vegas told me you could freeze curd but not the fresh Mozz so I tried it on my own. and I think it wrks great for cheese on demand. Time from freezer to fresh cheese can be as short as 5 minutes if you defrost the curd in the microwave. But I generally do a slow defrost on the counter.

After skiming curd from the whey I take 4 or 8 oz chunks of the drained curd and put it into zip lock bags with air removed. I then place the packs on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until solid, This time of year I just put them outside for a couple of hours and they are solid....

All the frozen packs then go into a 1 gal zip lock and back in the freezer.

If I want some cheese for a meal I take out one or more of the packs and remove the curd block from the bag and place it on a plate lined with a Paper towel to catch the excess moisture.

Once the curd is defrosted I place it in a ceramic bowl and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of salt per about 4 oz of curd. I them fork the salt into the curd to distribute it.
        More or less salt to taste and recipe.

At this point i begin heating the curd in the microwave on high for 15 second intervals, removing the curd and pressing to remove any extra moisture and draining it off. I use a silicone spatula to manipulate the curd.

after about 3 sessions in the microwave the curd begins to smooth and shine, At this point you can start to stretch and fold it like salt water taffy. The more you work the cheese the dryer and the more like string cheese it becomes.

Some people will ball the cheese by pushing it up between the thumb and index finger but I use a different technique.

I place the fresh cheese on a piece of plastic wrap and then lift the corners of the wrap around the cheese and twist to form a ball. I then place in the fridge with the twisted side down. When chilled and unwrapped you have a perfect fresh mozz ball.

Photo is of frozen curd.

Oh BTW... I use basic cheap whole milk from the regular grocery store. Or who ever has it on sale. I make up 6-9 gallons at a time in 3 gallon batches and get about 22 oz of cheese from a gallon of whole milk and 18 OZ from 2 percent. I have not tried 1 Percent or skim but I hear it does work.
        Last edited by mrchipster; 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Working...
        X