ady vs idy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ady vs idy

i was speaking with my mother about these two topics and she said that i could make instant yeast by merely grinding the active dry yeast in a grinder making it smaller? can anyone tell me if this is true?

thanks, bernie

Re: ady vs idy

I have not tried it so my answer is based on information and not experience. The answer is no. IDY is dried differently and uses a different binder. The drying is particularly critical for the heat in the ADY process kills about 2/3 of the yeast as I understand it. IDY has about twice as much active yeast and is in smaller particles which allows it to be mixed better. You could pulverize the ADY and it would mix better with dry ingredients but it would still rise slower and need more time. Buy IDY by the pound. Keep it in the freeaer. It costs a fraction of ADY packets at that price and can be held for years with no problems.

Good luck!
    Jay

Comment

Thanks jay,
      i knew that i had to add 25% more ady to a recipe, but for different reasons......i thought it was because of the extra air space created with the bigger yeast particles.
      little did i know.....

Comment

You are welcome! BTW, I would have concern that pulverizing the ADY would heat it and kill more yeast (though once they are in spores they are pretty tough). I started with ADY (because that was what my wife's mother had used so that was what she used so that was what was in the house. On rare occasions (mainly at others houses) I have had to use ADY since, and I find it much less consistent (possibly simply due to age and storage). IDY is in my experience MUCH more consistent - and probably especially when kept in the freezer. I do mainly sourdough so IDY is used mainly for pizza and occasional yeasted breads. I buy a pound of IDY about every two/three years and it seems very consistent!

Good Luck!
        Jay

Comment

Working...
        X