instant yeast vs active dry yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instant yeast vs active dry yeast

do you use the same amount of instant yeast as you would in a recipe that calls for ady, is there any conversion advice anyone can give. i know you do not have to proof instant

Re: instant yeast vs active dry yeast

Tommy,

Very best advice to you is to consult Hamelman's Bread. There you will find a conversion chart. Alternately, look at pizzamaking.com where you''ll find similar conversions, or Rienhart's The Bread Bakers's Apprentice. No, they don't convert easily, but give these tables a shot. Across the board, IDY is a faster alterntive than ADY, but there are exceptions, as in biga recipes. Depend on what you're trying to do.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I was searching around for exactly this answer and found this thread... I found this conversion guide from 911 baking and thought I would paste it here in case anyone else was searching and found this old thread.

pantry_leaveners_yeast

YEAST SUBSTITUTIONS:
      ~~~~~~~
      To convert cake yeast to instant yeast:
      For 1 packed tablespoon cake yeast use 2 teaspoons instant yeast or
      2-1/2 teaspoons active dry

OR
      To convert recipes calling for instant yeast to active dry yeast: Use 1.25 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoon instant yeast, use about 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

To convert recipes calling for active dry yeast to instant yeast: Use 0.67 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoons active dry yeast, use 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast

To convert recipes calling for fresh compressed yeast to instant yeast: Use 0.32 times the weight; or, for 1 packed Tablespoon (21 grams) fresh yeast, use 2 teaspoons instant yeast
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

There have been numerous discussions about this. It is a great topic. Look at this table:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/...hart-3422.html

Comment

yes but that table is just for ADY.
          -------------------------------------------
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

The rule-of-thumb is 25% less IDY than ADY.

Comment

It's been my experience that yeast makers are in business to sell yeast. A whole packet of yeast in a loaf of bread? What for? Try more like half a teaspoon.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I agree. I think they think of it as "insurance" to cover the liklihood that someone will improperly store and then expect it to work. Many recipes seem to want to rush the rise time -- a convenience, but certainly not a flavor building approach.

Comment

Working...
                X