No announcement yet.

I finally got Caputo; and a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I finally got Caputo; and a question.

Hey Ryan,

The Caputo folks often say that it's not the quantity of the gluten, but the quality. I think that adding vital wheat gluten can help with some bread recipes, but I am not sure it will improve pizza dough. What about hydration? Have you really pushed the limit on your water? Try shooting for higher water percentages, and let it sit for 20 mintues before you start kneading to let the flour really absorb the water.

I am guessing, but I would start there first.

Are you using olive oil? If yes, try it without; if no, try it with. A pure dough recipe with Caputo flour does not need (or want) olive oil, but perhaps the King Arthur flour would do better with it.

It will be good to hear what our high altitude contingent says.

Let us know how it goes,
    James
    Last edited by james; 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      Jim,

I have been using the King Arthur 00 pizza blend of flour. It has been ok but the dough has not turned out as I had originally expected. I am wondering if I need to use Vital Wheat Gluten or something to enhance the flour? also, I am in Colorado and at 5,000 ft up I am wondering if a High Altitude adjustment is necessary?

Thanks,

Ryan
      Ryan, what exactly are you unhappy with in your dough? There are quite a few possibilities here, and the answers could come down to differences in how the dough is handled, altitude, baking process, expectations. So how is it lacking? Tell more also about what you are doing to get to where you are now.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! The dough texture seems right, the window pane method is good, but then after the dough is tossed it starts to fall apart. I never had this problem using all purpose flour so I am a bit discouraged. I have tried adding more flour but something just doesn't seem right. I am going to try th Caputo Flour with the recipe they provide to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

I am not an expert (yet) in pizza dough. Mainly I have been using KA Bread flour. I tried a 00 Italian flour that my Dad got for me, but it was very difficult to work with, mostly due to the fact that it had clumped up and needed to be sifted! But also, it did not stretch as well as the dough made with the bread flour.

I purchased some Caputo 00 from James and will try it soon (another 4-6 inches of snow here today...don't you love that Ryan?).

I have been using Peter Reinhart's recipe so far with no adjustments for high altitude. The main problem that I have had is a very flat center of the pizza. I would like to see at least some small bubbles in the crust all the way to the tip of a slice.

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            Thanks for the help guys! The dough texture seems right, the window pane method is good, but then after the dough is tossed it starts to fall apart. I never had this problem using all purpose flour so I am a bit discouraged. I have tried adding more flour but something just doesn't seem right. I am going to try th Caputo Flour with the recipe they provide to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Ryan
            So with Caputo, I have not had this kind of problem. Caputo makes a remarkably supple, silky dough that you can just push around. I only have holes if I overdo it and try to get too thin. Because of the suppleness, I do have to treat it more gently. I could toss my old tough (bread flour) lower hydrationg bread flour dough, and I had to really work it to stretch it. With caputo, it sort of goes wherever I want it to go. I use either a patting/rubbing motion to stretch the dough or use the flip technique (search u-tube for pazzo pizzaiolo). If I tried to handle my caputo dough the way I handled my old bread flour/low hydration dough, it would probably 'fall apart.'

Are you talking about holes when you say falling apart?

Comment

Yes. I end up with holes. Maybe I am overworking the dough. I see the guys toss pizza at the local Pizzeria and I think, "What is in their dough?" There is a place here called Pulcinella Pizza. THe owner is from Naples and the pizzas are authentic. I got their recipe but my pizza crust never turns out the same.
              Is it possible to underwork the dough?

Drew( Only got 2 inches of snow up here. I will call you on those bricks. I have not forgotten!)

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Working...
              X