"00" Flour from Sysco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "00" Flour from Sysco

Has anyone heard of this flour or used this flour? I am currently using KA bread flour because my baking temps are around 550-600F & Caputo doesn't brown well at these low temps.
    Does anyone know if I can still use KA at higher temperatures or will I need to make hydration adjustments or flour adjustments for higher temps?
    I love using Caputo but sometimes the supply can be spotty. I'm able to order through a bakery supply company (Dawn Foods)(Caputo 50lb), but that would be a pallet at a time. My SYSCO food rep sent me the following info on another "00" Flour.
    Attached Files

Re: "00" Flour from Sysco

I purchased a pallet of KA Artisan flour from Dawn. We bake at 800 to 900 degrees F. The leoparding effect on the cornichon was perfect. The only reason why I don't use the KA flour is that Dawn was difficult to work with. They were not that interested in my single pallet a year purchase. When I last checked KA only distributed their bulk product through Dawn. I am now using a high gluten bread flour from Bay State that I can get in smaller quantities from Gordon Food Products, a Sysco competitor.

Comment

We have GFS here as well. I guess that I'll have to experiment and see what works & tastes best. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by tusr18a View Post
        I purchased a pallet of KA Artisan flour from Dawn. We bake at 800 to 900 degrees F. The leoparding effect on the cornichon was perfect. The only reason why I don't use the KA flour is that Dawn was difficult to work with. They were not that interested in my single pallet a year purchase. When I last checked KA only distributed their bulk product through Dawn. I am now using a high gluten bread flour from Bay State that I can get in smaller quantities from Gordon Food Products, a Sysco competitor.
        One thing you can try, is to find a bakery that uses the KA Artisan (Sir Galahad) flour and see if they will sell you a 50# bag. That is what I do here in Ohio. I am buying it for about 63 cents per pound.

Also, for what it is worth, KA Artisan flour is the bulk form of their unbleached all purpose flour that is sold in most grocery stores. Buying in bulk definitely gets you a much better price admittedly, but it is the same flour.

Comment

Working...
        X