X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are my garden tomatoes "artisan"?

Look what the garden produced for me!

So, of course, I made a pizza!

I love using cherry tomatoes on a pizza. When you cut them in half and take the time to place them open side down, you end up steaming the inside and charring the skin a little which makes the tomato turn into both a sauce and a topping.

Re: Are my garden tomatoes "artisan"?

A couple more pics...

Comment

Nice!!!...32 tomato plants and got one substandard tomato. I set the plants and it started to rain ...every day for more then 60 days in a row. My tomato plants drowned where they stood.

Nice to see someone had a good tomato year. Think I'll go mix some dough for tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
        My tomato plants drowned where they stood.

Nice to see someone had a good tomato year. Think I'll go mix some dough for tomorrow.
        I saw a gardening show on tele some time ago and they advocated keeping the soil mean and the water lean, tomatoes love it apparently.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

We got san marzannos at the community garden going berserk, after just one month from seedling they are covered in fruit and about 500 mm long (started at about 100 mill)
          Heaps of mill mud (sugar cane residue after they make sugar),cow manure and crusher dust.
          They should be starting to get ripe in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
          Its amazing growth.
          Cherry tomatoes are about 600 mm and covered in fruit too in a month too.

We better hurry up and build the pizza oven

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
            We got san marzannos at the community garden going berserk, after just one month from seedling they are covered in fruit and about 500 mm long (started at about 100 mill)
            Heaps of mill mud (sugar cane residue after they make sugar),cow manure and crusher dust.
            They should be starting to get ripe in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
            Its amazing growth.
            Cherry tomatoes are about 600 mm and covered in fruit too in a month too.

We better hurry up and build the pizza oven
            Post pictures when they are ready to pop! Sounds awesome!

Comment

Gudday
              I like homegrown Cherry tomatoes on pizza the riper the better.
              But they do get a little to hot and there like little lava bombs that burn your lips and mouth. I take out the seeds and that tones them down enough still get the same flavour. Keep the seeds and juice add salt olive oil makes a fresh salad dressing.
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave,

I don't mind the lava bombs! I kind of like that. Maybe I wait a little longer to take that first bite. What I do like is that the bombs are bursts of flavor. What about removing the seeds and mixing with olive oil and drizzling that over the pizza before baking?

I'll have to give your way a try some time and the dressing sounds pretty good too!

Brad

Comment

I managed a decent crop of Roma and Tiny Tim tomatoes this year. No rain has meant they get only the water they needed. Unlike last summer when it got so wet that some of the roses drowned!

I used many of them to make sauce but some of the last of them I had a crack at semi-drying them in the forno. That worked fine once I got the oven cool enough. The first tray ended up dead dry and crisp so I powdered them in a mortar & pestle. That produced a very flavoursome condiment. The two trays pictured were put in at about 140 F for a couple of hours and they came out fine. I bottled them in olive oil with a basil leaf. Very tasty indeed.

A very versatile thing these WFO's and quite forgiving as well.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Brad English View Post
                    Dave,

I don't mind the lava bombs! I kind of like that. Maybe I wait a little longer to take that first bite. What I do like is that the bombs are bursts of flavor. What about removing the seeds and mixing with olive oil and drizzling that over the pizza before baking?

I'll have to give your way a try some time and the dressing sounds pretty good too!

Brad
                    Gudday
                    Best side salad...ever....
                    Tomatoes if you stuck with store bought leave out of the fridge on the bench for the day. ( I usually do this with my home cherry tomatoes though)
                    Cut the up and put them into a glass or ceramic bowl, salt (no Pepper) and leave uncovered for 20 mins. Tear up ( no knife )fresh basil and mix in add glug of olive oil. Serve unchilled.
                    I know the instructions sound a bit pedantic but
                    Tomatoes get there best flavour out the fridge in the warmth.
                    Tomatoe juice is not good in steel or plastic.
                    Basil gets a bit bitter with steel and the juice and salt will bring out its flavour.
                    I was shown this by a friends many years ago he explained it as he made it , yes I tried to cheat but it never works the same.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave,

First of all, my favorite word there is a "glug" of olive oil!

I will definitely give this side salad a whirl and love the details.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                        I managed a decent crop of Roma and Tiny Tim tomatoes this year. No rain has meant they get only the water they needed. Unlike last summer when it got so wet that some of the roses drowned!

I used many of them to make sauce but some of the last of them I had a crack at semi-drying them in the forno. That worked fine once I got the oven cool enough. The first tray ended up dead dry and crisp so I powdered them in a mortar & pestle. That produced a very flavoursome condiment. The two trays pictured were put in at about 140 F for a couple of hours and they came out fine. I bottled them in olive oil with a basil leaf. Very tasty indeed.

A very versatile thing these WFO's and quite forgiving as well.
                        Looks awesome! I've never tried this. It's going on the list!

Comment

Working...
                        X