Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with MOLINO FARINO TIPO #OO flour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with MOLINO FARINO TIPO #OO flour?

Hi All,

So I have two Italian markets that are "sort of" whiten striking distance from me. The closer of the two carry's the small Caputo 00 red bags but they run out frequently. The other store which is a more proper market carry's another brand which I have no experience with, Molino Farnio #00.

Browsing Store - MOLINO FARINO TIPO #OO 1KILO PIZZA FLOUR

Just curious if anyone has anyone has used this before and if it might be worth going out of my way to stock up.

Thanks!

Re: Any experience with MOLINO FARINO TIPO #OO flour?

Caputo 00 flour is the gold standard for Neapolitan pies, but needs higher temps to perform well. If you're going to stock up, Chef's Warehouse in the City of Industry will charge you .67/lb (vs Claro's $1.80/lb) for a 25k bag. I store mine in freezer bags that start in the freezer and get moved to sealed 5gal plastic buckets.

I'm not familiar with the Molino Farino 00 designation, only Antimo 00. I think the small red bag you want has the image of a pizza on it.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
      Caputo 00 flour is the gold standard for Neapolitan pies, but needs higher temps to perform well. If you're going to stock up, Chef's Warehouse in the City of Industry will charge you .67/lb (vs Claro's $1.80/lb) for a 25k bag. I store mine in freezer bags that start in the freezer and get moved to sealed 5gal plastic buckets.

I'm not familiar with the Molino Farino 00 designation, only Antimo 00. I think the small red bag you want has the image of a pizza on it.
      Thank you very much, I had heard about Chef's Warehouse but did not realize that there was such a substantial price differnce.

Industry is a bit of a haul from Huntington Beach but I will definitely make it a priority next time i'm going through LA.

As far as storing your flour, you say you store it in freezer bags in the freezer and then move it to 5 gallon buckets? Do you only move it when you are ready to use it or are the buckets your long term storage?

Comment

Gianni, just to be clear. Is Chef's Warehouse open to the public?

Comment

Yes, it is. You call 'em up and give them your order over the phone. When you arrive, go to the glass doors left of the loading docks and knock if the door is locked (the buzzer's been broken for years). You can give them a credit card or exact cash amount (they don't make change) and then a helper brings your products out to the will call dock and you're off.

Depending on where in Huntington Beach you are, it's a straight ride north up Beach Blvd and then Hacienda Blvd over the hill. This is a direct route there's no freeways to take.

Here's the link to their product catalog. You can call sales and get a price over the phone:

http://www.chefswarehouse.info/WEB/productguide.htm

Comment

Yes, it is. You call 'em up and give them your order over the phone. When you arrive, go to the glass doors left of the loading docks and knock if the door is locked (the buzzer's been broken for years). You can give them a credit card or exact cash amount (they don't make change) and then a helper brings your products out to the will call dock and you're off.

Depending on where in Huntington Beach you are, it's a straight ride north up Beach Blvd and then Hacienda Blvd over the hill. This is a direct route there's no freeways to take.

Here's the link to their product catalog. You can call sales and get a price over the phone:

That's awesome, thank you! And what's even better is it just so happens that I need to drive out to the valley Saturday morning. Looks like a perfect excuse to stop in Industry on my way back!

Comment

As far as storing your flour, you say you store it in freezer bags in the freezer and then move it to 5 gallon buckets? Do you only move it when you are ready to use it or are the buckets your long term storage?
              Sorry for the lateness of the reply. I like to fill as many freezer bags (6) as I can fit into my freezer and leave them for a week or so. This neutralizes any existing and future pests that may have gotten into the flour. Then I move these to the 5gal buckets and replace them with new freezer bags and repeat.

Comment

Sorry for the lateness of the reply. I like to fill as many freezer bags (6) as I can fit into my freezer and leave them for a week or so. This neutralizes any existing and future pests that may have gotten into the flour. Then I move these to the 5gal buckets and replace them with new freezer bags and repeat.
                That makes total sense, thank you for the info.

Comment

Gianni - Sorry for the 20 questions, but when I'm looking at the Catalog I see two listing for Caputo Pizza (blue).

GF234A - CAPUTO 00 PIZZA FLOUR ATTIMO 10/1 KG
                  GF234 - CAPUTO 00 PIZZA FLOUR BLUE 1/25 KG

Are these both the same? Could that be talking about the differnce between the small red bag and the large blue pizzeria?

Hoping to place my order this afternoon, I appreciate all of your advice.

Comment

No worries. The 25kg bag is blue. The pack of 10/1kg bags is the same stuff, only the bags are red. Just like the top level in the pic above. You can confirm this with the sales person.

Comment

No worries. The 25kg bag is blue. The pack of 10/1kg bags is the same stuff, only the bags are red. Just like the top level in the pic above. You can confirm this with the sales person.
                      Awesome, thank you for the info.

Comment

Bummer, Chef's Warehouse is only open for will call M-F 8-4pm. I was really hoping to go tomorrow.

Guess it'll have to wait for the next day off.

Comment

According to the new caputo us website and the us importer the small red bag is no longer the same flour as the blue bag of pizzeria flour.

Comment

Originally posted by MD56 View Post
                            Hi All,

So I have two Italian markets that are "sort of" whiten striking distance from me. The closer of the two carry's the small Caputo 00 red bags but they run out frequently. The other store which is a more proper market carry's another brand which I have no experience with, Molino Farnio #00.

Browsing Store - MOLINO FARINO TIPO #OO 1KILO PIZZA FLOUR

Just curious if anyone has anyone has used this before and if it might be worth going out of my way to stock up.

Thanks!
                            Yes, I have (assuming you mean Mulino Marino - the one with a red and green stripe down each side of the bag). IMO it tastes better than Caputo and well worth seeking out (but that is only my opinion). Make sure it's marked 153 (to denote the year 2014 - the 153rd anniversary of the Italian Unification).
                            Last edited by cleverdick; 03-22-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X