San Marzano - what am I missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marzano - what am I missing

Just want to know what is the big deal about San Marzano tomatoes? I found a can and was really looking forward to tasting it but was so underwhelmed that I am actually disappointed. With everyone pounding the table that SM's are the only tomato to use I half expected a choir of angels to sing when I opened the can.

So what am I missing?

Re: San Marzano - what am I missing

I think that they only can the "angel" variety in Naples . But, the maters that I grow taiste pretty good right off the vine .

What's the deal with San Marzano tomatoes?

How to identify Real San Marzano tomatoes.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post
      Just want to know what is the big deal about San Marzano tomatoes? I found a can and was really looking forward to tasting it but was so underwhelmed that I am actually disappointed. With everyone pounding the table that SM's are the only tomato to use I half expected a choir of angels to sing when I opened the can.

So what am I missing?
      We sell San Marzano tomatoes, so I don't want to pitch them on the free forum, but I can share the link that talks about the certification process to make sure what you tried was legit. Personally, I grew up in NJ and feel we have some of the best tomatoes in the world and nothing beats off the vine.

Comment

I have had fresh ones, DOP ones, non-DOP ones, American canned ones and don't use any of them. They are not bad, but they are not the best by a long shot. If you have access to a supply house, get some 7-11 or 6 in 1, they are much better, as are Stanislas products in general. Cento crushed is pretty good for that matter.

What you want to look for are no added anything, other than basil if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post
          So what am I missing?
          I don't think you are missing anything. In my experience, you can almost always find tomatoes that are better than whatever D.O.P. SM's are available and at a fraction of the price. My go-to is Cento Italian (35oz can).

Comment

Cento has been my go-to favorite too, until I found a California-grown "San Marzano Style" (go figure) tomato at Fresh & Easy with flesh thats silky and rich-tomato flavor.

Comment

Thanks for the all the replies! Glad to hear that I am not completely crazy

Comment

I like Cento, but Mutti might be even better. You can find them at world market.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

I agree Mutti are great. A bit pricey but great.

Comment

Well, since this has developed into favorites, I like the the "Mississippi Band of the Utah Strain". The cost is very affordable. Just some bone meal, oven ash, chicken sht, and copius amounts of water...........

Thank's Russell!

joe w.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Sounds a lot like the Texas strain we've been enjoying recently

Comment

I can't remember the last time I used tomato sauce in my pizzas. I use fresh tomatoes when they are in season (of course you have to do stuff to em so they don't turn your pizza into soup) but for the rest of the year, I make do without, the people I cook for couldn't be happier with the pizzas that I make. The ONLY time I use tomato sauce is when I have a couple people who are just so picky that they won't touch anything but plain cheese (dry skim cellulose crap) or cheese and pepperoni, if they don't even want to touch a pizza because the thought of a vegetable scares them, I can't do much for them, we are just on different worlds.

I preferred 6 in 1 to most San Marzano tomatoes but I don't know entirely if that was just my wallet thinking or what, DOP whole San Marzano's are north of $3-4 per can. Each can makes 4-5 pizzas after you strain them and put em through the mill, that meant it cost about 75 cents just for sauce on a personal serving of pizza!

We make sun dried tomatoes every year from our extra cherry tomatoes, we just change our toppings to play well with them for the rest of the year.

Comment

This got me to thinking. I have been using Cento whole tomatoes for my sauce. Paying the SM premium. We get them at TJ's and did a head to head taste test vs. the TJ's brand and decided that the taste was enough better to justify the price.

However, I did a bit of googling about and found this article http://www.splendidtable.org/story/t...anned-tomatoes from the show "Splendid Table" (which is a fun listen) and they recommend Muir Glen brand. I am going to have to try those. She calls my Cento brand "too weak-kneed and bland to have much appeal"!

Lots of people recommend the 6 in 1 - but I use drained whole tomatoes for my sauce, and think ground/crushed makes too wet of a sauce. I drain the can, add a bit of EVOO, garlic, oregano, and salt - and whiz it with a hand blender.

I tried growing and canning my own SM's - but they were pretty bland compared to the commercial offerings. We don't have long/hot enough summers here to grow a decent tomato...
                          Last edited by deejayoh; 08-20-2015, 10:42 AM.
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                          X