brand of flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand of flour

Today i spent few hours pre- drying my FB stone. Then went to a few super markets and a few itailian food stores, no tipo-00. So i bought King arthur ap flour now reading posts i should have got, bread flour should i go up to store and get KA bread flour, so much in new york to choose from seems like i em over my head with choices, was looking to get dough made tonite and ready for football tomoorw ? Sauce was a whole differnt prob but i had tons of choices of san mar imported stamped cans , butt with lots additives in it and basil. Any help would be nice

Re: brand of flour

Take a trip to NYC .. chelsea market (the indoor market) will have everything you need they also carry fresh yeast ..
    the store name is .....I forgot :-) but it's the only Italian Imports store in the market ...
    BTW real san marzano tomatoes are hard to find even in Italy

Originally posted by Burntroof ofmouth View Post
    Today i spent few hours pre- drying my FB stone. Then went to a few super markets and a few itailian food stores, no tipo-00. So i bought King arthur ap flour now reading posts i should have got, bread flour should i go up to store and get KA bread flour, so much in new york to choose from seems like i em over my head with choices, was looking to get dough made tonite and ready for football tomoorw ? Sauce was a whole differnt prob but i had tons of choices of san mar imported stamped cans , butt with lots additives in it and basil. Any help would be nice

Comment

Re: brand of flour and tomatoes

The brand of tomatoes i got was called Cento . Has the stamp with numbers from italy. Can says San marzano peeled tomatoes, pomodoro san marzano dell'agro sarnese-nocerino,D.O.P , imported product of italy. Ingredients : plum peeled tomatoes, san marzano, tomato puree san marzano, basil leaf citric acid and salt ;(. Well i live on long island work in nyc so i will keep my EYE open.

Comment

I live in the middle of NOWHERE...

But we do have a Sam's club, and they have a 25 pound bag of bread flour.......

Hi gluten

Makes decent pies in the regular oven.

Still gonna order some Caputo for my first pizza night in the WFO.
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Re: brand of flour and tomatoes

I know the brand but I never tried it .. the DOP marking is a good sign it's a certification but from the label description looks like they mix plain plum tomatoes with some s. marzano.. It's a small area near naples so they don't produce too many tomatoes sometimes they cheat using tomatoes from the same seed but not grown in the s. marzano region which makes a big difference in the taste and texture .. I will try the cento tomatoes my local supermarket does carry it

The brand of tomatoes i got was called Cento . Has the stamp with numbers from italy. Can says San marzano peeled tomatoes, pomodoro san marzano dell'agro sarnese-nocerino,D.O.P , imported product of italy. Ingredients : plum peeled tomatoes, san marzano, tomato puree san marzano, basil leaf citric acid and salt ;(. Well i live on long island work in nyc so i will keep my EYE open.

Comment

If I recall correctly the Type 00 flour is actually lower gluten than the bread flour we get here in the states , believe it or not what makes the napolitan pizza so superior is the crappy city water they have coming down the pipes which is also what makes their espresso taste so good
            it's kind of like water going through a water softener

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
            I live in the middle of NOWHERE...

But we do have a Sam's club, and they have a 25 pound bag of bread flour.......

Hi gluten

Makes decent pies in the regular oven.

Still gonna order some Caputo for my first pizza night in the WFO.

Comment

Well its my 1st shot at the fb stone ,so i will use what i have, and try to get better stuff as time goes on . Any suggestions on sauce if i should pre cook or what to add or what not ?

Comment

never precook pizza sauce just the crushed tomatoes a bit of salt and you're done drizzle olive oil on the tomato and put your toppings.... less is more

Well its my 1st shot at the fb stone ,so i will use what i have, and try to get better stuff as time goes on . Any suggestions on sauce if i should pre cook or what to add or what not ?

Comment

Originally posted by barbarian View Post
                  If I recall correctly the Type 00 flour is actually lower gluten than the bread flour we get here in the states , believe it or not what makes the napolitan pizza so superior is the crappy city water they have coming down the pipes which is also what makes their espresso taste so good
                  it's kind of like water going through a water softener
                  In that case it should work well for me. We have some of the hardest water in the world. So bad in fact, that it took me 2 years before I couldn't taste it anymore. (yes it has it's own flavor, and floaties too.)

But it doesn't bother me anymore. Most people never drink it and we have water stores everywhere around town.
                  My thread:
                  My costs:
                  My pics:

Comment

Originally posted by barbarian View Post
                    never precook pizza sauce just the crushed tomatoes a bit of salt and you're done drizzle olive oil on the tomato and put your toppings.... less is more

Actually I like to simmer mine first with some black pepper, garlic, and fresh oregano.

Bad I know, but I love it that way.
                    Last edited by asudavew; 09-16-2007, 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling error
                    My thread:
                    My costs:
                    My pics:

Comment

LOL... yup I don't know if they have hard water in Naples but being near a volcano and the sea I imagine the water is rich in minerals and not very tasty
                      been there when I was younger many times but I don't remember the taste

In that case it should work well for me. We have some of the hardest water in the world. So bad in fact, that it took me 2 years before I couldn't taste it anymore. (yes it has it's own flavor, and floaties too.)

But it doesn't bother me anymore. Most people never drink it and we have water stores everywhere around town.

Comment

Nothing bad about it it's just personal preference

Actually I like to simmer mine first with some black pepper, garlic, and fresh oregano.

Bad I know, but I love it that way.

Comment

Sad to say i used bottled water and live on Long island lol. Next batch, i em gona use tap water.

Comment

If the water in LI is as chlorinated as the crap in NYC I would put a water filter

Sad to say i used bottled water and live on Long island lol. Next batch, i em gona use tap water.

Comment

Working...
                            X