Too much sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much sauce?

Just wondering, when only making a couple of pies what do you do with your extra sauce? How long can it keep after opening the can and adding the spices? What about opening can and only using half, wouldn't the portion without spices store better? (Of course one should never store in an opened can but rather in glass.)

Re: Too much sauce?

Canned Tomato is very acidic so it will store for 1-2 weeks well chilled and properly sealed air is the #1 enemy if you ad garlic to it then the life span is reduced and it will take on an unpleasant "old" garlic taste kind of like garlic powder which should be banned to my opinion

Originally posted by stuart View Post
    Just wondering, when only making a couple of pies what do you do with your extra sauce? How long can it keep after opening the can and adding the spices? What about opening can and only using half, wouldn't the portion without spices store better? (Of course one should never store in an opened can but rather in glass.)

Comment

I perfer just not storing , i just throw out rest imho.Unless using it the next day and i use half a box of saran and its not sored in a can in plastic, metal does change taste .

Comment

I usually turn any extra tomatoes into pasta sauce (of which I have several variations). The process involves cooking (anywhere from 15/20 minutes to a couple of hrs - depending on the type of sauce). I usually make 2-3 times what I need...I end up freezing the leftover. IMO cooked sauce that has been frozen retains good flavor and texture in the freezing process (I've kept it for up to a month without problems).
        Fresh tomatoes or pizza sauce I'm not sure...I may try freezing the extras the next time to find out.

Comment

The San Marzanos (the real ones) that FB sells come in the bigger 28 oz can. I usually just use what I need and put the rest in a glass tupperware container with an airtight lid. As Barbarian noted, they are fresh enough from the can to make a great sauce in the next few days if you store them correctly. Just a couple of tablespoons makes a great blush cream sauce. The tomatoes fall into the cream.

As a side note, Naples lays claim to both pizza and pasta -- with the first pasta and tomato sauce recipe published (I think) in the 16th century. We love the San Marzano's for the pizza sauce, but there is also a large community of pasta recipe lovers who demand San Marzano tomatoes.

Just make sure you look out for imposters. They aren't the same.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, glad you chimed in on the FB San Marzanos. I've been out of commission and have not fired my oven in a month (shoulder surgery) - I just went and checked, I'm down to my last 4 cans.....guess I better place another order, so I'm ready when I can work the oven again. (hopefully in the next couple of weeks)

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
              The San Marzanos (the real ones) that FB sells come in the bigger 28 oz can. I usually just use what I need and put the rest in a glass tupperware container with an airtight lid. As Barbarian noted, they are fresh enough from the can to make a great sauce in the next few days if you store them correctly. Just a couple of tablespoons makes a great blush cream sauce. The tomatoes fall into the cream.
              That's right the San marzano aren't only for Pizza.. but really any pear shaped tomato farm fresh and vine ripened will make a great tomato sauce or pizza every different type will have different tastes but all good
              I usually buy a few cases of organic plum tomatoes when in peak season, (here in NY season is short) blanch,peal then jar them with it's cooking liquid and a tiny bit of salt.. the equivalent of canned tomatoes but 100% better.
              If I have made enough they will last almost the whole winter. It's a tradition in many country homes in Italy to make "passata di pomodoro" strained tomatoes which is usually plain or with a bit of basil just blanched tomatoes strained and jarred..that's the base for everything

As a side note, Naples lays claim to both pizza and pasta -- with the first pasta and tomato sauce recipe published (I think) in the 16th century. We love the San Marzano's for the pizza sauce, but there is also a large community of pasta recipe lovers who demand San Marzano tomatoes.

Just make sure you look out for imposters. They aren't the same.
              James
              Yes they claim Caterina de medici brought to france with her chefs, cookbooks, silverware and many of the now known french classic sauces also several pasta dishes and this was in the 14th century..
              but.. pasta was already around since the Roman empire though more in the shape of a lasagna used to cover pies and layered meats.. and seems like the first boiled pasta was introduced in sicily during the Arab invasion I the 5th century AD . perhaps we can credit them with their version of tomato sauce

Comment

Barabarian,

Exactly. I think the Chinese also have a pretty good claim on pasta -- early BC. But, pasta with tomatoes has one essential ingredient. Cristoforo Columbo. The way I have heard the story is that the New World tomatoes came to Europe from Peru, and were grown as ornamentals for some time in the old world, before somebody had the courage to actually eat one. The rest is pasta history.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                X