Cheese Co-Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese Co-Op

I've been thinking about this for a while. What do you think of FB forming a Cheese Co-Op (in the true sense). We could purchase Italian cheese in bulk, divide it at the FB offices, and ship it out to the Co-Op members. The cost of the cheese to members would be the wholesale purchase price, plus your percentage of the handling cost. We would charge a membership fee to kick it off (something small) and in the event that the Co-Op had any money left over at the end of the fiscal year, we would return a share to Co-Op member.

My vision is to create a true purchasing Co-Op, in the traditional sense. Real membership.

Great cheeses can be hard to find, and when you do find them through the boutique suppliers, they are very expensive. I don't think FB will never be in a position to build a serious business selling cheeses, but I think we could be the hub for a fun co-op.

And then, there is great Balsamic Vinegar -- which is very difficult to find in the U.S.

What do you think?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Cheese Co-Op

Great idea James!

I live in a small town, and choices are limited.

By the way, I work for a co-op.
    Sure is a great organization, I wished more of the world worked that way.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

James, count me in if you decide to start up this idea. I'm tired of spending $12-$16 per lb for imported cheese that is merely good in quality and sometimes no better than the generic US cheese at half the price

RT

My wife just said to add the balsamic into the co-op as well

Comment

James

I like the idea a lot. Keep us up on the details.
        Mike
        "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Stopped in at Costco today and bought Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio for $9.99 per pound. ChefShop in Seattle does a special once a year when the Parm shipment arrives but I can't remember what the prices were. They were selling nice big slices. I like the idea of being in the club and getting the cool stuff at good prices. I hope your idea works, James.
          Mike
          "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Sounds great
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I'm not the kind of cheese aficionado you guys are (my tastes would make you all cringe - American, anyone?) but I'd be happy to chip in a membership to help you get started. A good co-op is a terrible thing to waste.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

You can count me in, the co-op is a great idea.

A big YES on the the balsamic as well. The source I had last year is gone and great moderate priced balsamic is almost impossible to find.
                Wade Lively

Comment

Sounds like a no-brainer to me ... Parm & Bals. Count me in also.

J W

Comment

Oh yeah - On our last trip to see CanuckJim I splurged and got some extremely sharp aged cheese. I think it was close to $50/pound. OMG. Wife hated it but Jim & I lapped it up. Nice crystals, beautiful piercing of the nostrils -excellent with a sharp red wine too.

Comment

James

Anything new to report on the co-op front?
                      Wade Lively

Comment

Originally posted by jengineer View Post
                        On our last trip to see CanuckJim I splurged and got some extremely sharp aged cheese. I think it was close to $50/pound. OMG.
                        I'd be interested ... just what cheese (brand) was that?? I love cheese & I'm always on the lookout for new ones ...

As for the coop, I like the idea of it but I'm not sure how it would work out for me at this distance from California, let alone across the border. The cheese could be a problem, but the balsamic vinegar might work.

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,

I'm north and east of Toronto, but I'm in on the idea no matter what the bipolar folks at Canada Customs have to say.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

James, are you still planning on this co-op? Sounds like enough of us are interested, me included. How many do you need? When do you plan to go foreward, or is the idea dead?
                            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

add me to the list....we've found some very nice cheeses this year.

cheese of the month club, maybe a manchego too?

X
                              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                              X