X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inishta
    replied
    Local ingredients

PizzaJNKY will relate to this gem................fresh garlic................

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Garlic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	881.1 KB
ID:	271020

This little lot is destined for pickling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickled garlic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	652.3 KB
ID:	271021

Going to get more today and pickle it with hebs and chilli. Great flavour when added to salads etc. Will keep indefinitely if refrigerated and covered with vinegar. The flavoured vinegar is great in dressings and marinades.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Re: Local ingredients

i love drying tomatoes the following day after a roast or pizza. I've found the best way is to use Roma tomatoes because they have less water. Cut them lengthwise into quarters sprinkle a little salt, sugar and pepper and let them semi dry. Much better than any bought dried tomatoes. Refridgerate them in sunflower or canola oil with some garlic and herbs. Don't use olive oil- it will solidify in the fridge.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Try about 145 degress F. for drying. Apricots might take 10 - 12 hours, possibly more.

Leave a comment:

• Inishta
    replied

XJim.........I wake up every morning feeling that we are truly blessed......

David, my oven has not been built very long so have not experimented with drying fruit. That is a thought for later in the season (after I have been to the UK to collect my IR thermometer etc.) but I never cease to be amazed by what members use them for.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

almonds and apricots greeted us whenever we visited my parents in Spain
    ....I love the Med!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Have you tried drying them in your oven ?

Leave a comment:

• Inishta
    replied

The 2 things I miss most are the selection of cheeses and pork products. Both are available but, because of import taxes are ruinously expensive and classed as special treats. A day trip to one of the Greek islands is one of the ways to restock.

Turkey is famous for dried fruits and none more so than Malatya apricots. The area supplies 90% of world production and are available in sun-dried and commercially dried varieties. We have recipes using fresh, dried and preserved. Apricots are one of the most nutritious fruits with high levels of beta-carotene and iron and, when dried, are an essential part of the diet of vegetarians and vegans.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Sorry Gb, leftovers on the menu for today though.

I'll pull out the biscotti recipe and post it....we freeze the slices and it lasts a long time.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Oh, not fair XJ. Nice pic - make my mouth water then leave me sitting here empty handed,

So what's the WFO biscotti recipe that you spoke of earlier? Did I miss it?

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Si, por supuesto...salchica morcilla

and now the local rice, fresh vegetables and seafood for the paella!

todos Valenciano autenticos

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Afternoon - works now! I so miss those shops. The hams make my mouth water. The salami - Mmmmmmm. I assume the dark/blackish rings are the clotted blood....., uh er, black pudding rings?

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

GJ I just clicked on them and they worked...

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

XJ,
    I couldn't view the pics for some reason. I'll check 'em again later so I know what to watch out for.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Inish,
    The honey bees are all dying off around here. They're estimating that the shortage of bees will cause billions of dollars to California's fruit industry. Try fruit flies - they're easy!

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Lots of meats and cheeses to choose from

...here's some black pudding rings for George too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X