Call for Pizza Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for Pizza Ingredients

We are collecting a group of imported pizza ingredients that we are going to provide through the Forno Bravo web site. Here is what we have found so far:

Caputo Pizza Flour
    San Marzano tomatoes
    EVOO
    Italian anchovies in olive oil (glass jar) -- excellent
    Italian tuna in olive oil (glass jar) -- excellent
    Salt cured capers -- excellent
    Sicilian oregano on the branch
    Pesto

Is there anything else that you are using that you would recommend to a friend for the perfect gourmet pizza (excluding products that need refrigeration)?

Let me know.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Oops

I am slightly embarassed, I had to google EVOO.
    Renaissance Man
    Wholly Man

Comment

Where's the Cheese?

Frankie G
      Frankie G

Wood-Fired Ovens RULE!

Comment

I would love to do cheese, but we aren't ready to handle refrigerated items yet. Give me a little time. :-)

If we could find a great supplier who would drop ship directly, that would be good.

My research so far has yielded a domestic mozzarella company that charges more for shipping than the cheese, so-so domestic at Costco, a pretty good domestic at Trader Joe's and the occassional imported Mozzarella di Bufala at Joe's (which is good), and an imported Mozzarella at a cheese shop in Healdsburg, which is good, but pricey.

Our daughers are funny. They roll their eyes when we buy domestic mozzarella, and keep reminding us that it isn't "real".

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Frankie,

I see you are in NorCal, with what looks like a Scott oven. Where are you located? We're in Healdsburg.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Frankie is in

Lathrop, near Stockton, check out what he really does for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by james
              Our daughers are funny. They roll their eyes when we buy domestic mozzarella, and keep reminding us that it isn't "real".
              Why not make your own? It may not be "real" since you can't get the water buffalo milk, but it's extremely easy (takes about 30 minutes), TONS of fun (especially for kids), and darned GOOD!

I can dig up a reference if you're interested.

Tarik
              --
              Tarik

Comment

Hey James,

I do work in Lathrop, I sell Pepperoni!

But I live in Eastern, Contra Costa County....
                Frankie G

Wood-Fired Ovens RULE!

Comment

Tell us more. Do you use your own pepperoni on your pizzas? Do you sell it over the Internet?

How good is it???

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

fresh mozzerella

Why not make your own? It may not be "real" since you can't get the water buffalo milk, but it's extremely easy (takes about 30 minutes), TONS of fun (especially for kids), and darned GOOD!
                    could you elaborate? a thread telling how to home make mozzeralla sounds like a good reference to me!
                    -Paul
                    overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Cheesy subject...

I just did a bit of searching and it is really easy to make mozzarella. Use whatever kind of milk you like. I used to make chevre at home back inthe day we had milking goats... Great stuff.

Chad
                      Renaissance Man
                      Wholly Man

Comment

Who will be the first to do it, and share their photos....? :-)

Did everyone see our photos of the small Mozzarella producer outside Naples. They made it look easy.

http://fornobravo.com/brick_oven_coo...zzarella1.html

James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by paulages
                          could you elaborate? a thread telling how to home make mozzeralla sounds like a good reference to me!
                          You got it.. this evening, I'll write up a detailed post relating the recipe I have followed on several occasions and a few resources to do it yourself.

It's really quite simple, you use milk, citric acid, and some mesophilic starter and in less than 30 minutes, you're pulling and kneading the hot cheese to get the mozzeralla texture you want. The rest is being patient enough for it to cool down and eat. We have a hard time with that step!

We've also taken the leftover whey and made pizza crust from it.

I have no pics, but that can be remedied the next time we make the cheese!
                          --
                          Tarik

Comment

Working...
                          X