Mozzarella Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozzarella Redux

I have been asked a number of times recently if anyone has a good source of mail order Mozzarella -- either domestic or imported. Here in Healdsburg, we can buy domestic and imports at Oakville Grocery, The Cheese Board, and (of course) Trader Joe's. Un pocco caro, but findable.

For areas where you can't find it (or where you just don't want to drive aroudn looking for a good supply), does anyone have leads on a good Internet store that stocks high quality fresh mozzarella, and ships it at a reasonable price?

This keeps coming up, and it seems reasonable that there is a good solution, so any input here would be helpful.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Cheeses

James,

The only internet source for cheeses I know of is epicurious.com. They've got some 10,000 recipes online (bread, too). Only problem is they seem a bit pricey for specialty foods. Maybe have a look.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hi James--I've ordered from Vern's Cheese in Wisconsin.They sell Grande brand Mozarella. It's pretty good for a domestic cheese. ---Mel

Comment

It's the shipping

Hi Mel,

I just logged onto Vern's Cheese, and the shipping is a killer. Over $12 for a $5 1lb piece of cheese. Then I looked at the 6lb bag, and shipping was still $12.

I'll bet they are more competitive shipping locally.

Maybe we need a number of sources in different geographies.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi James--When I ordered from Vern's I ordered quite a bit of other cheese in addition to the Mozarella so the shipping was not that bad. I just got a shipment of 12 pounds of Polly-o Mozzarella from a friend of ours in southern Cal. I am going to check to see if she can hook us up with a local distibuter,her husband works in the food industry. ---Mel

Comment

Thanks Mel,
            Great idea. It's like the radio commercial. "Now your have a friend in the cheese (diamond in the commercial) industry." :-) We need an insider.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Fresh Mozzarella...or Mutz/Moots if you live here

I live in the Apizza epicenter of the world (in my "Humble" view). New Haven Connecticut. Home of "The big Three" Sally's Apizza, Frank Pepe's Pizzaria Neapolitana, and Modern Apizza. While I cannot say where any of these Folks get their cheese, no self respecting paesan would by their cheese anywhere other than Liuzzi's. www.liuzzicheese.com in North Haven CT.
              Domenic and his Cheese whizzes make their own on the premises......WONDERFUL!!!

Comment

Working...
              X