Fake San Marzano's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake San Marzano's

Look at what I found shopping yesterday. Genuine, fake San Marzano tomatoes. The label says Pomidori Pelati, there is are six big, red plum tomato graphics that say San Marzano, and it comes in the standard 28oz size. A closer look says that is Grown Domestically in the US. No mention of the tomato type.

They were expensive and not that good.

This seems to be a case of marketing crossing the line, and going too far.

Beware. :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

The real ones have a serial number on them. Lots of fakes out there.

Comment

I have seen these at williams sonoma.

I have also seen the "La Bella San Marzano" brand of tomatoes. So though they may sell some san marzanos under that brand, not all of the tomatoes sold under that brand are san marzano...

For example here are La Bella San Marzano Cherry Tomatoes

And these do not look like San Marzano either!

San Marzano's should say DOP on the can...

Please!
      Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM.
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

There is a Gov't seal

Drake,

You're right. There is a govenment seal that you can see on the can, complete with a little computer stamped logo, number, etc. Here is a photo. Normally, this is the sort of thing I would not take seriously, but the quality difference between the knock-offs and the real thing is big. Some things are just worth the effort, and this is one of them.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Fake San Marzano's

Now I'm torn, I saw a can of those in the store, (before reading this post) bought the diced ones, strained heated and added a bit of garlic... and it was the best sauce I've ever made.

Comment

Acbova,
            Its all a matter of tastes. Try the San Marzano, then your best sauce again. Just like wines, not all prefer the same things. Cook for you, not for us.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Sounds like a lovely experiment! That's pretty much how I got this far

PhotoPlog - Pizza

Comment

I've used Delallo's San Marzano's (with the serial number) and they are very good. I've also used the LaBella San Marzano's and they also are very good. The difference? A 28oz can of Delallo's are $4 and a 106oz can of the LaBella are $6. I'll have to do a $10 double blind test next time I make sauce.

Comment

I found Delallo's at our local Kroger store a few months ago. They carry the generic "imported Italian plum" tomatoes (crushed or diced) and also the "government seal" San Marzano's. I've tried all three with good results. The ones with the seal are about $3 more per can.

I too was thinking about doing a double blind test. I'll let you know how it turns out!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I just brought home a few cans of Cento whole, peeled tomatoes. It was a quick purchase and I only took a cursory look at labels. The store more or less had mixed types in one spot so that Cento's real San Marzanos - the ones with the official seal - was in with their San Marzano style tomatoes - the ones without the seal. The point is that both say San Marzano right on the label but closer inspection shows that both are not the same. The cans themselves were slightly different from one another too.

So regardless of whether San Marzanos make a difference or if you'd know the difference, it helps to know what to look for and then to actually look for it.

Also, just to comment on the crushed vs. whole: There IS a difference in taste regardless of which taste is preferred. But there is a difference. I don't know what it is or what causes it, but the whole taste better (to me) as though heat is required to crush, or too much metal, or, I don't know, but some of the mojo goes wandering once the crush happens and it gets canned. And it isn't simply the act of crushing. There's a difference in taste between whole tom's I crush myself and those canned crushed. Go figure.

Comment

Interesting note Kimemerson. Perhaps some of the aeromatics dissappear quickly after crushing. Kind of like exposing roasted coffee beans to air. Mojo goes away quickly.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I just bought a can of the Cento San Marzano tomatoes before I read this thread and they say "Product of San Marzano Italy" on the label. They don't have the serial number or a special seal. Does this mean they are not the "real" San Marzano's.

Mark

Comment

I just looked up Cento San Marzanos on the Internet, and they are the real deal -- unless they have a b-tier brand. They have their certification # on their web site.

I like the idea of blind tastings -- let's have a few tasting parts and you can report the results. On this theme, we are having friends over the a glass of wine and an olive oil tasting this weekend. One of FB's customers produces high quality EVO in Pasa Robles, and we are going tasting that, along with the new harvest of FB's Tuscan import EVO.

We'll let you know how it goes.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James,
                            Looking forward to trying them. First time with SM tomatoes.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X